Capturing Wild Yeast with a Pineapple starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoadsrage

Reaction score
I used this several years ago for sourdough but thought it might apply for capturing wild yeast. This was used for wild sourdough starters but I think it would also work for beer starters. If you search for wild yeast sourdough starter there are lots of hits but I think this is the person that started it originally. http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/233

This the recipe I used.
1 cup natural pineapple juice
1 cup whole wheat flour

Let sit in an open window, covered by a thin sheet of cheese cloth.
Wait for bubbles, then refrigerate for a week and use as sourdough starter.

I thought the concept was make the medium a bit more acidic to promote yeast growth and slow down mold growth?

I will have to get this growing again and post an update.

My brother brought home some alcoholic fruit cocktail from a party once. I don't remember what he called it, but basically, it was fermenting fruit in a jar. It was really easy to keep it going. You would spoon some of it out and serve, and then replace that same volume with fruit cocktail out of a can, and it would take off. You could actually see the bubbles within the pieces of fruit. Pineapple worked about the best, and eventually, I got one jar going with nothing but that in it. When you bit into a piece, the carbonation would make your mouth tingle. It was quite strong in alcohol content, too - probably between beer and wine.
It was a big hit at parties.

As I recall, it was a jar with a lid with a wire bail, similar to a grolsch bottle, complete with rubber seal. After that same brother dropped the lid and broke it, I let it go. I should try that again, maybe with some beer yeast. Wine yeast would probably be better, but you go with the materials at hand.

Back