First Extract Batch and a couple questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdonbonjovi

Reaction score
Blueberry Wheat Ale:

6lbs Briess DME
2 oz Tettenag (60min)
1 gal Blueberry Juice
Muntons Yeast

Brought 5 gal of water to boil, added DME and Hops (in nylon pouch). Stirred and reached hot break. I only got a rolling boil for the second half of the boil (im on a gas stove).

Flame out, added (40degF) gallon of blueberry juice, put pot into ice bath and chilled too 70ish deg F. Hydrometer read 1.067-1.068.

Yeast packaged said to add 1 packet to 1/3 cup water, done, sat for 15-20 min, stirred it up dumped into fermenter (bucket) and then I poured the wort over it.

Covered, and attached airlock. Placed into basement that holds about 58-61 deg F.

I left it there for a day and didn't see any bubbling so I figured it must be very cold down there so this morning I moved it upstairs 68 deg F.

Questions:

1. Anything I did wrong?
2. Should I leave it upstairs or should I bring it back downstairs once fermentation has started?
3. Recommendations?

Sounds ok.
Next time I would add the blueberry juice to secondary or in your bottling bucket when you bottle.
I would leave in the basement until fermention is all done.
Also, you can just sprinkle the yeast on top of your wort.

As far as the boil goes, I would not add the boiling hops or even start your time until you reach a rolling boil. Once the rolling boil is reached then you should add your boiling hops and start timing.

+1 on adding the flavoring to a secondary, you may lose a lot of flavor during primary fermentation.

My personal opinion is the downstairs may be a little chilly. I would keep it upstairs but of course, that is what I would do!

I am not too familiar with muntons products but I have read they can be problematic. You may need to add fresh yeast if you are not getting any fermentation but to check you'll need to take gravity readings. Airlock activity is not a good indicator of fermentation.

Give it a few more days! Good luck!

Well I popped off the lid and I was surprised with a nice 2" ring on the side of the bucket! I'm assuming this is from the "krausen"? I also took the SG and it was 1.024! Coming from 1.067 that means its obviously fermenting and must have done so while I was sleeping or not able to check the air lock for bubbles.

Now its only been 3 days in the primary and it has a lot of clearing to do and some fermenting. Should I leave it upstairs (65degF) or in the basement (58-60 degF)? And would 3 weeks in the primary be ideal?

Next time try adding liquid yeast, I prefer Wyeast, but it can take up to 48 hours before you see bubbling. If you dont see it in 12 or so its no big deal. And 58 degrees is a little chilly, but it will still ferment it just might take a little longer, and next time i would also not start the timer until you reach boiling. Next time though just relax, RDWHAHB

Well I popped off the lid and I was surprised with a nice 2" ring on the side of the bucket! I'm assuming this is from the "krausen"? I also took the SG and it was 1.024! Coming from 1.067 that means its obviously fermenting and must have done so while I was sleeping or not able to check the air lock for bubbles.

Now its only been 3 days in the primary and it has a lot of clearing to do and some fermenting. Should I leave it upstairs (65degF) or in the basement (58-60 degF)? And would 3 weeks in the primary be ideal?

Upstairs 3 weeks, bottle/keg then 2-3 weeks more and you should have pretty darn good beer.(sampling before the 2-3 weeks is encouraged);)

At least that is what I would do. All of my beers(ales/kolsch's) have been fermented, and bottle conditioned at about 64° all winter and I like the results!

Back