Another IIPA recipe feedback request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damdaman

Reaction score
This is what I've put together. I'm planning on attempting this for my 3rd AG batch (maybe a bit ambitious, but I'm ok with that). Any thought/suggestions/critiques/feedback appreciated.

In particular, I was hoping I could get some feedback on whether the grain bill looks good, and whether the hop choices/schedule look good.

TIA!

Type: All grain Size: 5.5 gallons
Color: 15 HCU (~10 SRM)
Bitterness: 121 IBU
OG: 1.096 FG: 1.018
Alcohol: 10.1% v/v (7.9% w/w)

Grain/adjuncts:
15 lb. American 2-row
2 lb. American Vienna
1 lb. American victory
1 lb. American crystal 20L
2 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
2 lb. corn sugar (dextrose)

Mash:
60% efficiency
90 min mash target temp 148-150

Hops:
1 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Amarillo (8.5% AA, 60 min.)
.25 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 45 min.)
.25 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 45 min.)
.25 oz. Amarillo (8.5% AA, 45 min.)
.25 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 20 min.)
.25 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 20 min.)
.25 oz. Amarillo (8.5% AA, 20 min.)
.5 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 10 min.)
.5 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 10 min.)
.5 oz. Amarillo (8.5% AA, 10 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (dry hop 7 days)
1 oz. Chinook (dry hop 7 days)
1 oz. Amarillo (dry hop 7 days)

Yeast:
2 packets Safale US-05

Sugar AND cara-pils? You're adding dextrin to give it some body and sugar to thin it out. Kinda fightin' each other IMO. Drop the C-pils and add some more 2-row. You will have plenty of body/maltiness with the C-20 and an OG of 1.096! You want a IIPA to be kinda dry. Might actually get too dry with 2# of sugar and mashing at 148F. Try a lb of sugar if it's your first attempt. The 45 minute hop additions don't do much of anything. Drop them and add to the 20 min. addition. I like 20 minute additions for good flavor. You'll get plenty of aroma from the 10 min and dry hop...

I agree with Poobah, you are fighting yourself and even without the sugar, you have way too much Crystal/Cara malts.

Sugar AND cara-pils? You're adding dextrin to give it some body and sugar to thin it out. Kinda fightin' each other IMO. Drop the C-pils and add some more 2-row. You will have plenty of body/maltiness with the C-20 and an OG of 1.096! You want a IIPA to be kinda dry. Might actually get too dry with 2# of sugar and mashing at 148F. Try a lb of sugar if it's your first attempt.

Thanks, that makes sense. New grain bill looks like this:

18 lb. American 2-row
2 lb. American Vienna
1 lb. American victory
1 lb. American crystal 20L
1 lb. corn sugar (dextrose)

The 45 minute hop additions don't do much of anything. Drop them and add to the 20 min. addition. I like 20 minute additions for good flavor. You'll get plenty of aroma from the 10 min and dry hop...

Hmm, I see what you mean, I deleted them and made the 20min addtion .5oz and only lost 6 IBU's, which is pretty much not even an issue at the range I'm in here.

Thanks!

Back