Graff tastes slightly of yeast/wine...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfbf

Reaction score
Hey

Graff cider has been much much nicer than my first attempt of just slamming turbo yeast in DJ with home pressed apple juice... Now I don't think it will take long to get through 42 pints ;)

Just want to make it even better next time :mug: The taste is still not quite as clean as store brought ciders. It tastes slightly like cider mixed with a small amount of dry white wine and a small amount of yeast. (took me a long time to work that out)

It tastes a lot nicer with apple juice, I think that gets rid of the wine problem, I think it was just because it was very dry and just needed a small amount of sweetness. Still has a slight yeast taste though. Not sure if I could just use less yeast next time? Or weather there are any products that could get rid of this. It has been in a keg for 4 weeks as well as having primary (4 weeks) and secondary (2 weeks) which I thought would get rid of the yeast. The cider looks quite clear just maybe not as clear as store brought ciders.

It comes out the top tap king keg with a lot of troth, so maybe I added a bit too much priming sugar which could mean yeast gets into the drink somehow? Or maybe without filters like large brewing companies use it is impossible to get rid of that yeasty taste?

Thanks for any ideas, and sorry if that makes little sense
Ben :mug:

Age...Time...Patience...

Don't mind me, i am 1/2 to 3/4 druk:tank:

seriously though, I have found even being the relative newbie that i am, that time is what it takes to kick the yeast flavour....

It seams yeasties don't just pack up and go after thier shift is over. Some stick around to clean up the mess...

I made a graff using hopped LME and without the steeping grains, and it sounds similar to yours in that's it a bit dry. It finished clearing after bottling but I can still taste a touch of the yeast, especially if I don't pour carefully. It's quite drinkable dry, but I have found that if I put a couple of packets of Splenda in a glass and swirl them in about 2-3 tablespoons of water, then pour the graff, it's great. Not only does it add the perfect sweetness, the sweetener granules provide nucleation points for the carbonation, and I get this absolutely beautiful head on the glass. I usually have one of these just before bedtime, and I find myself looking forward to it sometime right after lunch :)

If I use less yeast do you reckon it will help or just not take off at all?

I think I may try with a few pears in secondary to give it a bit of extra taste next time :)

Back