Proper distance for jet burner to bottom of keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewme

Reaction score
I have seen posts here and there about this, but no dedicated thread. I am building my first single tier rig and would like to know from those that have jet burners what the proper distance from the bottom of the keg (not the ring around the keg but the liquid bottom) to the top of of the jet burners. i have seen as little as 2.5" posted. To me that seems very close but I don't know much about this. What does everyone think?

and on that same vein, I have a banjo burner, and Ive been curious as well, what is the best keg placement in the flame, I remember bunsen burner from HS and they seemed to indicate that just barely above the end of the second blue flame area (inner one was a more light blue, outer was a darker blue) was the best spot for heat....?

Wow were on the subject whats the hottest point on a propane torch for when soldering copper. I think these actually will all have the same answer as to what part of the flame is hottest.

On my NG jet burners I've found the max heat transfer it is 16" from jet tip to kettle, but who runs at max heat all the time when brewing. I have my HLT burner set at 16". Only because I do multiple batches and wanted the quick recovery. I can go from tap to boil with 15 gallons in 30 min with it. On my boil kettle I have it at 8" to control the residual heat and control the boil. I have heat shields containing the heat. I really wish I had gone with the 100,000 btu burners, as mine are too large. (210,000) I make them work, but it isn't optimum. It works for me. Hope this helps. Most people on here I see have them much closer than I.

would like to know from those that have jet burners what the proper distance from the bottom of the keg
All my burners, ring or jet are between 3"-4" from the bottom of the kettles.
None of my burners are larger than required.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Latest posts

Back