Lingerie laundry bag as hops bag...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
We've got a couple very coarse mesh bags that are maybe 12" X 6", that are made for laudering delicates in the washing machine.

I'm eyeing them as hops bags, especially for dry-hopping with whole hops. The coarse mesh should allow plenty of contact with the wort while holding most of the leaves in. I'm thinking I could put the bag+some marbles in the carboy (rolled back over the opening), stuff the hops in, and then draw it closed.

I may try it for boiling as well. Since we have two, I think I can pilfer one more-or-less unnoticed.

(Of course, I'd gladly keep my mitts off these if it meant they were actually getting use to wash the kind of stuff I wish she had to wash more often, but that's another matter.)

I guess I'd be a little worried about using those in the boil. What are they made out of, nylon or something like that? I'd be worried about it sitting on the bottom of the pot and either melting or scorching. Grain bags are cheap enought where I don't think I'd chance it.

Melting & too much debris would be my two concerns. The trick to hopping with bags is, keep it loose! Over-packing a bag will limit the utilization more than anything else.

I suspect those bags cost ten times as much as hop bags would. Anything having to do with women's undies is pricy.

The key to ladies' delicates is SOFT! Most of pretty stuff is stiff & scratchy.

cweston said:
Of course, I'd gladly keep my mitts off these if it meant they were actually getting use to wash the kind of stuff I wish she had to wash more often, but that's another matter.

You're not the only one with that problem - lol

Now that I've got kids, any alternate uses for lingerie related items is going to be of more use to me than the intended purpose. Right now, all that stuff is nothing but a drawer filler. :(

Back