Mashing Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandelf

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Rye APA tomorrow morning. I surfed around and found the gelatinization temp rang; but what is the required
time/duration for gelatinization to complete. I'm debating if I need to cook it or just do an extended mash? With other adjuncts
in the past, I just mashed until I hit the pre-boil gravity and all was good.

If it is malted rye, or flaked rye a single infusion will be sufficient, if its raw rye then a cereal mash would be needed.

Flaked rye on it's own, or with other adjuncts, will require a cereal mash. However, flaked rye with an enzymatic base malt will be fine for a single infusion mash.

Flaked rye on it's own, or with other adjuncts, will require a cereal mash. However, flaked rye with an enzymatic base malt will be fine for a single infusion mash.

Yes thank you, I did not get into specifics, it never crossed my mind to use flaked rye without a base malt.

That should yield more of a traditional German pumpernickel bread flavor. Let us know how it works out.

That should yield more of a traditional German pumpernickel bread flavor. Let us know how it works out.

The rye APA brewing this morning went well. I cracked the rye with a corona mill and then toasted it at 350 F for 40 minutes; turning every 10 minutes. The recipe had 25% rye, so I added a some rice hulls. I BIAB and continuously recirculate, so I could see that the wort went clear about 18 minutes after doughing in; indicating conversion was progressing as usual. I always taste my pH samples, it had a very nice subtle spicy/peppery flavor.

Nice, that sounds interesting. Keep us updated on the addition of the rye berries. I always wanted to add them to my rye grists, but never got around to it.

Back