Ed's Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hukdizzle

Reaction score
Well I am piecing together a grain bill and hop bill to do a variation of Ed's Haus Pale Ale. I am going to use simcoe instead of cascade and have figured out my hop schedule for 39 ibu but i am looking at the grain and I am a bit confused. Ed says to use Vienna malt but I am unsure which one to use. I would assume to use Briess Vienna as it has a lower potential SRM than Caramel Vienna but am I wrong in this assumption?

So far I am doing this.

Grain Bill:

8 lb of Rahr Standard 2-row
2 lb of Briess Vienna
.5 lb of Briess 2-Row Crystal 10

Hop Schedule:

0.62 oz Simcoe 12.9% at 60 min - 24.9 ibu
0.31 oz Simcoe 12.9% at 30 min - 9.6 ibu
.16 oz Simcoe 12.9% at 15 min - 3.2 ibu
.16 oz Simcoe 12.9% at 5 min - 1.3 ibu

1.25 oz total

Pulling 39 IBU's out of that with bagged pellets.

I have a question about the hops as well, the hops I am going to be buying are plugs, do you treat those as pellets/whole leaf or a different ibu calculation all together?

Thanks,

CJ

I've never heard of a caramel vienna- unless you mean caravienna malt, which is a specialty grain. The Briess vienna malt is perfect for this recipe!

Sounds great thanks for the input, anyone mind lending some advice on those hops? I am unsure if I am properly calculating the ibu's considering I am going to be using plugs instead of pellets. I will be breaking the 1/2 oz plugs into needed proportions to get my weights proper.

Back