Maple Nut Brown Ale critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bald Head Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing a Maple Nut Brown Ale and would like to run the recipe by some of you out there for advice….

Method: full-wort-boil extract brew with steeping grains

Ingredients:
6 gallons of spring water
6 lbs. of Briess Golden Light DME
2 lbs. of Maple Syrup Grade B
Steeping Grains consist of ¼ lbs each of Chocolate, Special B, Biscuit, & Special Roast
1 oz of Sterling hops
Wyeast #1028 London Ale Yeast
Priming with either Maple Syrup or Brown Soft Candi Sugar??

Steps:
-Steeping for 30 minutes at 150 degrees
-Planning to boil all hops for 60 minutes
-Adding all 2 lbs of Maple Syrup to the wort as it is cooling, not during the boil
-Planning to ferment at 70-72 degrees

Any critiques are welcome….

Thanks and Happy New Year

I'd add the maple syrup during the last 10-15 minutes of the boil (careful not to scorch it on the bottom of the kettle) - just to make sure it's all dissolved and any nasties are killed.

I would just prime with normal priming sugar (dextrose), but I like to keep things simple.

sounds like a very good recipe - I was meaning to make a brown this winter, but haven't yet...

I'll critique this when you send me a 12 pack for some "lab work"! Seriously, the recipe sounds good. I'm on my laptop right now, otherwise I'd spin it through BeerTools for you. Maybe someone else can help?

I appreciate the prompt responses.

My only concern to adding the Maple Syrup in during the boil is that it will cook off all of the maple flavor? I considered adding it in the last minute of the boil to pasteurize it, but decided to simply add after the flame goes out.

I have even seen adjuncts such as honey added to the primary instead of the boil in order to maintain the flavor.

If I'm looking for a noticeable, but not overwhelming, maple flavor should I even boil it at all?

I don't know if boiling will affect maple flavor -- that's a good question.

But, the combo of potentially losing flavor and risking scorching, I would agree with your original plan to add the syrup at flame out

Maple syrup is created by boiling. I would not risk the infection. Most of the odd lot fermentables I've seen added after the boil (such as fruit) I've seen done in the secondary when the wort has already built up sufficient yeast levels and alcohol.

If I'm looking for a noticeable, but not overwhelming, maple flavor should I even boil it at all?

Maple syrup is created by boiling off tree sap for hours and hours until the sugars break-down into a hyper-condensed version of the sap, the sugars remain and the less desirable flavors and compounds are all boiled away. Boiling the maple syrup for a few minutes should not in any way take away it's flavor.

I'm curious to hear how this turned out. I just did a batch with maple syrup and worry I don't have enough maple flavor. I used 7 lbs malt extract with 1 lb of syrup. I'm going to taste at racking time and then add more maple into the secondary if required. Also I might prime with syrup as well.

How did yours end up tasting? :)

Sounds pretty good, but the mistake i made recently with a scotch ale is that i over "sweetened it" by not balancing it with enough hops. If i went with your recipe i might add more hops later in boil. Thats just me tho

I made a porter extract kit and added 8oz. organic maple syrup at the last 10 min of boil. Drinking one right now. Has been in the bottle for 2 months. Definitely taste the maple syrup, but not super-overpowering. Will do it again with probably the same amt. of maple-no more.

Im Canadian and I make Brown Ale with Maple Sirop a few times.

I put 1 can (540mL) per 12 liter of beer. I put the whole can in kettle I also add 1 can of water, I boil that mix to return to the initale volume (1080mL to 540mL). After this, I put this in my secondary fermenting.

Make sure you have a strong yeast cuz Maple is rought on it.

Sorry, for my bad english. Im french.

Good luck.
Jonathan

Back