My APA was a huge success today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishing

Someday I'll stop procrastinating
Reaction score
Just had to tell some one who might give a damn...
Had family over today,several of whom had homebrew. I served two different ales, a batch made from a recipe given to me by my LHBS, and a batch made with an original recipe I posted here about a month ago. There were a couple of repeats on that one, but the recipe APA was a clear leader in repeat trips to the keg. I got comments like,"This is the best batch you ever made" to "you should bottle this,you could certainly sell it!" Made me feel darned good! I had to practically promise everyone that I'd keep this one on tap. That's ok by me...I like it a lot too! The problem is I am going to run out of it,but there's another recipe I want to try first and my meager budget doesn't allow buying enough stuff for two batches at the same time.

Did you dry hop? If so what kind of hops, you should re-post your recipe...

This is the recipe

Beer: Snowy Mountain APA Style: American Pale Ale
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5 gallons
Color: 10 HCU (~7 SRM)
Bitterness: 24 IBU
OG: 1.052 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 5.4% v/v (4.2% w/w)

Grain: 8 oz. American crystal 20L
8 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)

Steep: Crush the grains and steep between 150-170 degrees for 30 minutes
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.086 3 gallons
6.6 lb. Light malt extract
1 oz Irish Moss with 20 minutes to go
Hops: 1 oz. Perle (8% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (aroma)
Yeast: Safale US-05
Log: Dry hopped 1 oz Cascade for 1 week

It has been kegged for about a month... started good and has gotten better every day. Is a very pretty clear red beer.

According to my family brewing it is recommended. It really is a very drinkable brew... I had to stop drinking it over a week ago to make sure there was enough left to share yesterday.

Back