Technique for adding Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some Hasbeen

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had input in how to add the hops while boiling. I'm on batch #6 in my brewing career. Batches 1-4 all entailed me adding the the hops straight into the boil (both initial hops and finishing hops). Batch 5 I tried putting the hops in my grain bag (again, both initial and finishing). This technique was suggested to me by my local home brew shop owner. It was much easier pouring the wort into the carboy as straining was minimal w/out the hops. Batch 6 entailed quite a few different hops at different times, so I again added straight to the boil. Straining on this batch (done last night) was a pain. Batch 5 is in my secondary and Batch 6 is bubbling in the primary so I can't give any testimony as to difference in taste, etc.

Anyone have any experiences with bagging their hops? Any negatives/positives w/ taste? I think the lack of really having to strain the wort as a big positive. Thoughts?

I use whole hops and for the exception of dry hopping, I use hop socks for all my hop additions. I just got tired of dealing with the problems loose hops make. I've heard a lot of people say you don't get good utilization with hop socks because the hops are restricted and can't freely circulate in the boiling wort. This method seems to work for me however.

After brewing for about 15-20 yrs I have used hop sacks once or twice and I will never use them again. I don't think that you get the utilitation that you get buy just dumping them . If you use pellets a lot of it should stay in the kettle and if not they will fall out during fermentation, if you use whole or plugs then most will stay behind after the boil and will give you a clearer beer.

Thanks for the input from both of you. Pretty much the response I expected - no definitive answer. I'll let you know if I notice anything different when drinking the beer I used the hops sock on. I think I'll probably stick with adding the hops straight to the boil. Thanks again for responding.

For pellets, try the whirlpool method: after your wort is chilled, stir it in a vigorous whirlpool with a sanitized spoon for at least a minute, then put the lid on and let it settle for 20 minutes. The trub will collect in the middle, and you can siphon off all but about a quart without getting trub. Then you can strain that last bit through a sanitized strainer.

With whole hops, if you have an auto siphon with the little trub filter on the bottom, you should be able to siphon off under the whole hops without difficulty. Again, you should only have to strain the last bit. (or, if you're not as greedy as I am, just leave it in the pot.)

Back