Planning a Porter for Halloween Brew Session

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmiracle

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm just posting to say that I'm about to brew my second batch this Wednesday, I have the day off to take care of some business and when I'm home it's brew-time!

Thanks to this site I think this brew will be way better than my first, even though my first brown ale is still a treat. I made a starter for this one and it's going good right now. I'm planning an ice bath to chill the wort this time, last time I added the hot wort to the water in the Ale Pail and proceeded to wait until 2:30 AM for pitching temps. I'm planning to rack this one to a secondary and probably follow the 1-2-3 method. Hopefully I can be patient this time since I'll have some other homebrews already ready to drink, the waiting just about killed me with the first batch!

I'm using a Brewer's Best Kit for this since that's about all my LHBS has on hand, I might have to go the online route for ordering individual supplies.

I've got a starter question...when I made the starter I made the mistake of sticking the jug out in my garage because it was a warm day and I wanted it out of the way. Well that night (Sunday night) it got really cold here in Michigan, and when I went to check on the starter it was ice cold and the krausen that had formed seemed very diminished (I can't be 100% sure because it's an amber jug). I moved it into room temps 65-70 yesterday. Will this be all right? It seems like yeast is pretty hardy but I'm not sure if there'd be a problem with pitching it tomorrow.

Also should I have been swirling it more regularly? I've probably only swirled it like 3 times in 2 days (oops)

I guess nobody is reading this but it went off great! The starter really helped, I had vigorous fermentation by the next morning.

Back