I want to fill my own sodastream CO2 bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdwdash

Reaction score
So my wife has had a sodastream for a couple of years now, I like the idea but don't like the $15 charge for a 1 pound bottle of CO2. Tried to forum search to see if this had already been addressed and couldn't find anything. Nothing really on google either. I want to fill these sodastream bottles with their convoluted valves from my 20lb CO2 tank. Is there an adapter that can do this? ultimately I'd be looking for like one that would thread onto the sodastream bottle, and have a ball lock fitting as an attachment on the opposite end. Don't really want to do the paintball canister thing as I already have 2 sodastream tanks. Thanks.

c02doctor.com has fittings for that, although not cheap. Apparently sodastream started boobytrapping their tanks starting 2008 to prevent amateur refill, but co2doc has override valves for that also. I think it won't work unless your big co2 tank has a siphon tube to feed from the bottom. I got my paintball valve from c02doc, and a slightly more expensive source has been posted recently.

Last week I stumbled upon some fittings that are available at Palmer's Pursuit Shop www.palmer-pursuit.com

They have fittings to refill a sodastream tank and fittings to use a paintball tank in the sodastream. I think that both run about $40. There is also an instructional video there that shows how to refill the sodastream tank. Bear in mind though that this is just the fitting, and you'll need a fill station to be able to do it. That will typically run about another $35 and hook directly to your 20lb.

daft is correct that you need a tank with a siphon tube. Yours doesn't have one, so you'll need to turn it upside down, or it will reach equilibrium pressure before fully filling. You need liquid CO2 to get the correct weight into the tank, so trying to fill it with something that hooks to a ball lock QD isn't going to work. Which also brings up the fact that you'll need a scale to be able to know for sure how much CO2 you're getting in there.

There are tons of vids on youtube about using dry ice to fill Soda Stream bottles.
I have not tried this, but I know somebody that does, and he said it works great, and only costs a few bucks.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-a3pISQLQg[/ame]

Back