First All Grain - worriedd but not!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikolas_WestMI

Reaction score
Ok. I have about 5 extract/Partial Mash brews done. All have been great except one was a bit off but still drinkable.

I finally have most of my equipment together to go all grain.
I have:
7.5g pot with valve
4g pot for heating water
10g cooler for MLT
and a turkey fryer (50,000 btu)
plus all the carboys, imers. chiller and misc stuff

So. This is a first time all grain and I found a few recipes and changed them a tiny bit to my liking. I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to big or crazy for my first.

14lbs Pale 2row
1lbs Crystal
1lbs CaraAmber or Caraaroma (for a red color)
.25 lbs CaraPils for head

about 5oz Centennial throughout (60, 15 and flameout)

Yeast would be easy with SafeAle US-05 so I have no yeast flavor.

Should be a nice Red. Only thing I can see is adding more Malt flavor, but not sure if I should or how........ Wat it to be about 7-8%. BeerSmith says I am right on.

Mash at 152
Sparg with 170

total boil of 7g. Will be close but I wont leave it alone.

One I nail down the recipe. I will nail down steps after more videos and reading! lol or if I am told what to do! Planning it for Sat or Sun

Anything I am missing? Opinions?

Spank you all!!! :mug:

Have a you done a dry run with that turkey frier to see how much water you evaporate in an hour boil? I think you may be kinda pushing it with a 7.5 gallon pot and a big burner. I have to start with about 7 gallons of wort for an IPA batch - and that is on a stovetop.

didn't even think of that.
I was gonna pour 1 gal at a time tomorrow and mark the pot. Might as well see how fast I can boil it and what I lose in 60 min. !

I should have an empty keg for my keggle by the time the big day comes, just don't know if I will have the time to cut it up

With only a half gallon of room to spare, you need to be REALLY careful of boil over with that first hop addition. I would think about turning the burner off before you add them, then turn it back up after it has settled. The later additions should be good cause you'll have more room after it boils down a bit.
A pound of crystal and Amber seems like a bit much, but it's your brew and it's about what you like.
Other than the boil over potential, looks like you should be good to go.

I, too, fight the 7.5gal pot issue. I boil with 7gal to start. As it nears boiling, I keep one hand on the gas regulator and the other hand on a spray bottle of water. Have done 3 batches like this and no boil-overs yet. But, it is very annoying. And if I could ever find a keg anywhere within a 100mile radiuis of me, I will eliminate this problem. I have been searching for months and found nothing.

Back