Michigan ghetto lagering :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwibrew

Reaction score
I am geeked at my ability to control tempatures for my first attempt lagering without any refridgeration.

2.5 lbs light munich
.5 lbs dark munich
1.5 lbs Vienna
.5 lbs caramunich II
4 lbs extra light DME

.33 oz Northern brewer 60 min
.33 oz Northern brewer 30 min
.5 oz hallertau mittelfrueh 30 min
.5 oz hallertau mittelfrueh 20 min * (boiled in 2 pots, biab(ish) in a rectangle cooler with psuedo sparge through strainer)

1 gallon decanted Wyeast Munich Lager Starter

OG: 1.058

I have a "sun room" that doesn't get much sun that we don't heat in the winter and it ranges between 36 deg to 50 deg in the winter depending on outdoor temps. I was able to chill overnight and get it to 54 deg before pitching. I had it in a large plastic storage bin filled with water. I can get 47 deg water out of my bathtub faucet and used a combination of space heater, and addition of warm, or cold water to maintain tempature. I checked it and made adjustments 3x per day, before bed, upon waking, and when I got home from work. I was able to maintain between 47 and 53 deg, with most of that between 48 and 51 deg for 8 days.

Just checked the specific gravity and it was 1.018 I think I taste a little butter, but am otherwise am very pleased, so I put in the bathtub inside at 52 deg so it can slowly rise to D rest temp. I plan to lager in the garage for 6-8 weeks, as Michigan temps allow.

Transferred to the secondary, now to lager as mother nature allows. This is a pic of the hydrometer sample poured into a pilsner glass, got 1.015 after D rest

IMG_20130201_213558.jpg

Bottled today, Michigan weather has cooperated for maintaining lagering temps in my garage for 7 weeks. Tasted pretty good and was crystal clear. This put me in the unfamiliar position wishing for cold weather, last year we had hit 80 deg more than few times by now. Now it can warm up please.

2013-03-24 15.35.03.jpg

Back