experimental brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbobbert

Reaction score
I decided to do a little experiment and did an extract of
6#dme pilsner,
1# Belgian candi clear,
some paradise seed and coliander,
hopped with amarillo.
5 gallon batch

Its fermenting nicely as we speak. I was thinking of adding 3# of apricot puree towards the end of the primary stage(4-6 days in) and letting it sit for 2 or 3 weeks in the primary. I don't have a secondary. The question is do you think I should add the apricot or just leave it be? I don't want a big apricot flavor just a hint, thought it would give it some character. I have it in a controlled environment cooler at 64 degrees using safale s-04 dry yeast

Is this a five gallon batch? For most fruits 5 lb in 5 gallon will dominant the flavor profile. 2 pounds in 5 gallons is apparent like Harpoon UFO Raspberry. 1 lb in 5 gallons is generally subtle.

... But if it were me I would skip the fruit on this batch. With the light malt the spices will probably add enough interest.

If you want to add fruit, I would go with something in the citrus family, because it will compliment:

1) Paradise Seed - peppery citrusy
2) Colliander - orangy
3) Amarillo - spicy, orangy, citrusy

The shaved zest of 4 oranges (blood oranges/tangerines, etc....NO PITH!) along with the fruit in a hop bag would make a nice secondary addition!

I say let it ferment then taste it before deciding if you want to add anything. Who knows? you may be happy with it just the way it is.

i ended up adding the apricot in the primary after fermentation was complete. it started up again and let sit for another week in primary. bottled yesterday and sampled. Had a hugh apricot flavor and aroma. I even dry hopped with 1oz of simcoe. Figured I'd go crazy with this one. Sample came out really good. Couldn't believe how much of the apricot came thru. I will post in 3 weeks for the final product review. FG went to 1.012 with an estimated abv of 7.5%. I guess I'd call this one a Belgian blonde fruit ale

Back