What to do with Galaxy Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SullyHB

Reaction score
Hey All -

I don't post here very often but I thought I'd put this up here to get picked a part. I have 1lb of Galaxy hops coming today. I'm not really sure what to do with them as I've never used them, nor have I had a beer where they were used.

How well do they play with Simcoe/Citra? I was thinking something like this:

5.5 Gallons, Batch Sparge

Nottingham Yeast

8lbs 2-Row
3lbs Vienna
2lbs Munich

1lb Carapils
12oz Victory

.5oz Galaxy FWH
.5oz Citra FWH
.5oz Simcoe FWH

15 - 1oz Simcoe
10 - 1oz Citra
5 - 1oz Galaxy
Flameout - 1oz Citra, 1oz Galaxy, 1oz Simcoe

Dryhop - 1oz Citra, 1oz Galaxy, 1oz Simcoe

OG - 1.072
FG - 1.015

Been having problems getting my FG over 1.010 lately, so I figure I'd try something higher flock like notty or safale-04. Usually been using WLP001 but has been overattenuating vs projections.

I've found I really like a 2-Row, Vienna, Munich blend for malts in IPAs. I like the breadyness but my ratios may need to be tweaked some. Beersmith puts this at 112 IBUs, but I know FWH is a bit smoother, adjusting the FWH to 20 puts it in the 80ish range. Just to get a more "real" idea of how they'll be percieved.

Galaxy are awesome for pale ales and ipas gives a bit of mellon aroma. In the midwest we have Tallgrass 8-Bit that uses Galaxy hops...I personally would stick with the C Hops when using Galaxy...cascade, centinnel, columbus....personally not a fan of Citra I pick up some musky aroma that I don't care for. Simcoe I think would work....haven't used them extensively...I think your grain bill looks good

Here is 8bit info http://tallgrassbeer.com/8bit.html

Well, if you don't know the best way to learn is with a SMaSH. I normally just do a two gallon batch that I bottle when testing out new stuff like that. As a matter of fact I have a Galaxy test batch waiting for bottling right now. It's not a SMaSH, I had some Biscuit and C-20 laying around that I mixed with 2-Row and also bittered with Palisade because I read they can be a decent, neutral bittering addition. I tasted great from my hydrometer sample.

Latest posts

Back