Want my keggle openings larger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasbrewer73

Reaction score
So when I built my keggle and HLT, I cut the holes of the top using my kitchen pot lids as a template. Now that I've gone all-grain, I unfortunately didn't have the foresight that I would be drilling holes in these lids to attached a sparge arm, return valves, etc. So I bought some SS lids at www.foodservicewarehouse.com (< $10 for stainless!) and they are a tad larger than my openings. What is the best way to bore out the openings? Angle grinder and patience?

I just got done doing the same thing. I received a keggle that already had a hole in the top but it was a little smaller than my immersion chiller. With a lot of patience I was able to use an angle grinder to make a hole that was bigger and even cleaner than the one that was there originally. Good Luck!

If you have a jigsaw it will make your life much easier than an angle grinder. I just cut my opening in under 10 minutes, and that includes smoothing out the opening.
The metal blades are cheap and I only needed 2.

I used a die grinder (big dremel) with tungsten carbide bits in order to make mine larger.

Stop by a welding supply place and pick up a flap disk for about $15. Very easy to enlarge an existing hole. I used a 60 grit on the keggles I put together.

I'm lost. Cutting a hole with a cutoff blade on an angle grinder takes like 5 minutes tops. Wear proper gloves and eye protection and do it while your sober. Need perfect holes for lids? Why do you need lids?

Correct me if I'm wrong. Your HLT doesn't need one and might be startifying heat if you arent stirring it somehow. The MLT makes sense if you aren't running a rims/herms. The BK supposedly boils off some things you dont want dripping back into your beer (diacetyl precursors?).

Whats the point of a lid besides for BIAB and rain/debris?

I'm not trying to dissuade you from using lids and cutting perfect holes, I'm just bringing up what I see as possible negative outcomes from using them.

Cheers and good luck. Be careful with angle grinders.

Plasma cutters sound precise but they often result is a very messy job.

Doing the same thing soon. I didn't have an IC when I cut mine so it wasn't an issue. I'm going to see if I can have a friend with a plasma cutter do it for a 6'er. But it can be done easily by hand with a grinder like I did it the first time.

If using a plasma cutter you'll want to put a couple gal of water in the keg first to prevent the slag from sticking to the bottom.

I did that with the grinder as well... I was thinking maybe some sand would work too.

Just out of curiosity, what size lid did you buy and what size is the hole on your keg?
I'm in a similar boat that my keg has a 11.5" opening and it's near impossible to find an 11.5" lid

Someone asked why put a lid on at all? Ibrew in the evening sometimes and the bugs down south will head for fermenter, MLT and HLT every time. I know a bug or two won't hurt anything but when I end up with an off taste I don't want to have to wonder if it is a large flying bug or a worm that fell out of a tree. Lids prevent that.

Just out of curiosity, what size lid did you buy and what size is the hole on your keg?
I'm in a similar boat that my keg has a 11.5" opening and it's near impossible to find an 11.5" lid

I bought the 11" Royal Industries lid. < $10 and it's solid. My openings on 2 kegs measured at 11", but I figured it would be a tight fit. RI makes an 11.8", but I've had no luck finding it readily available for my 3rd keg. You'd have to get a distributor to order one for you.

Someone asked why put a lid on at all? Ibrew in the evening sometimes and the bugs down south will head for fermenter, MLT and HLT every time. I know a bug or two won't hurt anything but when I end up with an off taste I don't want to have to wonder if it is a large flying bug or a worm that fell out of a tree. Lids prevent that.

As far as the need for lids, I generally brew without a lid. In Dallas, bugs aren't as much of an issue, so I brew without a lid on. For mashing and HLT, lids retain heat in the mash tun and help get water temps up quicker to save on propane use.

I agree with the use of a lid for the HLT and MT to keep the heat in, I use the cut off tops of the keg that i put washers on to hold them in place, I also recerculate with pumps to keep temps even. I was using the third cut top for my BK but one of the washers got knocked off and I had a greese splatter screen sitting around that covers the hole on the BK to keep "stuff" out of the BK... also lets the steam out! so far, working great as a lid.

Stop by a welding supply place and pick up a flap disk for about $15. Very easy to enlarge an existing hole. I used a 60 grit on the keggles I put together.

Flap disk or circle disk in the 30-60 grit range will be the fastest way. Consumable will be the cheapest also..

Even with a plasma, you are going to need a guide ring. For that small of an opening I would still reach for the grinder. Mark your new hole, and go at it.

Back