Question re: Pressure & Lines for Keg Serving for Soda??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duganderson

Reaction score
I had a question.....

From my understanding, folks serve beer from a keg at 10 PSI with short lines (4 ft).

Why do folks use more pressure (20-30 PSI) for serving soda? I know that soda is carbonated at higher pressure, but why does this impact serving pressure?

Can you serve Soda at 10-15 PSI like beer? If so, what length lines do you need?

Thanks

duganderson said:
I had a question.....

From my understanding, folks serve beer from a keg at 10 PSI with short lines (4 ft).

Why do folks use more pressure (20-30 PSI) for serving soda? I know that soda is carbonated at higher pressure, but why does this impact serving pressure?

Can you serve Soda at 10-15 PSI like beer? If so, what length lines do you need?

Thanks

You could serve at lower pressure, but your soda would eventually reach a new equilibrium pressure(your serving pressure). You pretty much need to serve at carb pressure unless you drink it fairly quickly.

You could serve at lower pressure, but your soda would eventually reach a new equilibrium pressure(your serving pressure). You pretty much need to serve at carb pressure unless you drink it fairly quickly.

How long would it take approximately for the pressure to lower a lot in the keg? Would it be more like an hour or a day or more?

Since this occurs, if you're just pouring one or two servings a day, do you just leave the pressure set to 30 PSI and just use really long line? How long is necessary.

What if your bringing it to a party and your going to drink it over the course of several hours?

How long would it take approximately for the pressure to lower a lot in the keg? Would it be more like an hour or a day or more?

Since this occurs, if you're just pouring one or two servings a day, do you just leave the pressure set to 30 PSI and just use really long line? How long is necessary.

What if your bringing it to a party and your going to drink it over the course of several hours?

I use 25' of 3/16" line, and it just curls up on top of the keg and I zip tie it to the handles of the keg.

You can turn it down to serve, but it might get pretty foamy.

As an aside I use 1/8 and 3/16 tubing for my soda... depending. I use the 1/8 for my soda so I don't need 30 feet. It took a while to get the right length though.

This is helpful for me too. I use 25ft of 1/4 line and its not great @ 30 psi.. The soda rushes out of the keg...

I'm using 30 feet of 3/16 line at 30 psi and 39 degrees for soda and it's working fine for me. The only issue I have is that if I don't draw at least one soda a day, the soda that's in the line, about 5.5 ounces or 163 ml, goes flat. It's not entirely flat, but close to it. I have no idea why that happens, but it does. That's a lot of flat soda on the first pour after a hiatus.

billtzk said:
I'm using 30 feet of 3/16 line at 30 psi and 39 degrees for soda and it's working fine for me. The only issue I have is that if I don't draw at least one soda a day, the soda that's in the line, about 5.5 ounces or 163 ml, goes flat. It's not entirely flat, but close to it. I have no idea why that happens, but it does. That's a lot of flat soda on the first pour after a hiatus.

I run about 5 feet of braid reinforced 1/8 inch at 35 psi and it comes out great. Similar setup on my carbonator, just a longer line (about 10 feet). You have to dial it in. The 1/8 adds a lot of resistance so if you have to much it will gas out in the line.

As for the 30 feet of quarter... That's not enough. Most people use 30 of 3/16.

See the chart http://www.sitter.us/beer/keg/troubleshooting/balance.html

so using the equation on the sitter website and given

Height 3ft
Keg diptube 3 ft and .7 resistance for 1/4
Regulator Pressure of 30psi
and given that I'd like to stay with 1/4 line which has a resistance of .7 then I need about 37.7ft of line. wouldn't this cause some gassing out?

I run about 5 feet of braid reinforced 1/8 inch at 35 psi and it comes out great. Similar setup on my carbonator, just a longer line (about 10 feet). You have to dial it in. The 1/8 adds a lot of resistance so if you have to much it will gas out in the line.

That is great info. I'd love to swap out my 30 foot lines with five foot ones. Where did you find that? I can't seem to find any braided beverage line with a 1/8th inch ID.

Did you have to get a special tailpiece for your shank, or did you use an adapter of some kind? I have 1/4 inch diameter tailpieces on my shanks.

That is great info. I'd love to swap out my 30 foot lines with five foot ones. Where did you find that? I can't seem to find any braided beverage line with a 1/8th inch ID.

Did you have to get a special tailpiece for your shank, or did you use an adapter of some kind? I have 1/4 inch diameter tailpieces on my shanks.

McMaster - 5238K615 for the hose...

I had to special order the barbs from a supplier.

Yeah, I read that thread. The downside for me is the low flow rate and overall bother.

billtzk said:
Yeah, I read that thread. The downside for me is the low flow rate and overall bother.

I would just suggest a soda faucet with a adjustable set screw for flow (line pressure compensator)!!! That's what they do for counter top premix keg systems(little karts at the fair)..... :mug:

I'm not familiar with that, edmanster, but I'll look into it. I can't say that I really favor a solution that would replace one of my pretty perlicks with something that might look out of place.

Back