Wine corking question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer604

Reaction score
This is the first time trying to cork.
I bought a corker and some corks, and then I started to
think about sanitation.

How do I prepare the corks?
I goggled the subject but all I could find is, steam them or soak them
in sanitizing solution.
On the package of the corks I bought it says;
Do not soak or Boil! :confused:

So, do I jut pop them in and hope for the best?

How do you prepare your corks?

Thank you.

It says do not soak? Interesting.

I dont sanatise my corks or caps (if making beer) but with corks I always had a note on the package saying to soak them in warm water for 30 minutes before using to make them fit in better.

you could just as well in that case soak them in warm star san? but if it says dont soak em? assume just follow the directions, maybe different corking system than i use.

My LHBS told me that their corks are all coated with an antimicrobial film, which would wash off if I tried soaking or boiling them. I'd believe it's safe to assume that yours are similar, because of that message.

My LHBS told me that their corks are all coated with an antimicrobial film, which would wash off if I tried soaking or boiling them. I'd believe it's safe to assume that yours are similar, because of that message.

Thank you, hat is probably the case, it is just
strange that there is no mentioning of that
on the package.

04042011091.jpg

04042011095.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality, my cellphone doesn't do nice close up pics.

The corks we order in the winery come in bags that are sealed in so2 gas to keep them sanitary.

Back