What happened to my kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAAAA

Reaction score
So I just got done building my kegerator and left for christmas. It worked perfectly fine and I get back today and pour a pint and one tap is just spewing foam and the other tap has no beer coming out of it.

This is the setup I have.

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=326

I have two ten foot lines though. When I release the co2 in the kegs I can hear new co2 go inside there so I don't think it is the co2 manifold. I have a 3in tower with 2 taps in it.

Anyone know what might be causing this weird issue?

Have you tried to plug in a party/picnic tap that came with the kit? In other words, eliminate your tap, and line that runs to the coffin, and just run a new line with the plastic tap. If that isn't it, I would say check the CO2 side, since I doubt you have 2 kegs that went bad at the same time.

Orlando

I don't have a spare disconnect to hook the picnic tap up.

I pulled both kegs outta the fridge and the one that isn't pouring at all will not get any beer in the line. I pulled the co2 and pushed the co2 knob in the disconnect and it is letting co2 go.

Could just the beer out line in the keg be screwed up?

Didn't think about this and I just shook the keg and I barely hear anything!

I think that might be it then. Can't believe I did that but why would only one keg freeze and the other one still pour some beer but mostly be foam?

Different alcohol contents would mean different freezing points. Is the keg thats spewing foam a higher ABV beer? If so, it's partially frozen while your lower ABV beer is fully frozen.

Different alcohol contents would mean different freezing points. Is the keg thats spewing foam a higher ABV beer? If so, it's partially frozen while your lower ABV beer is fully frozen.

The one that isn't pouring is 5.5% and the foamy one is 5.7% so it isn't a huge difference.

How can I tell if the beer is fully frozen?

One keg next to the coils? That will freeze it. Best way is to release pressure and open lid. I did that once with a lager and had a 2 gallon ice cube floating inside the keg.

Vent the CO2 and open the hatch to have a look?

Venting the co2 is spraying a lot of foam and co2 in the one that isn't pouring anything. Guess I will have to do that and check tho.

One keg next to the coils? That will freeze it. Best way is to release pressure and open lid. I did that once with a lager and had a 2 gallon ice cube floating inside the keg.

They are both below the hump in my fridge but the one that isn't pouring beer is maybe 2 inches closer to the coil. Don't think that will make a big enough deal.

I would guess you likely froze the beer too. If so simply pull the keg out of the kegerator and let it dethaw. Once you put it back in you will likely need to re-carb it as I have found that when you freeze beer CO2 comes out of suspension. Shouldn't affect the quality of the beer though.

I would guess you likely froze the beer too. If so simply pull the keg out of the kegerator and let it dethaw. Once you put it back in you will likely need to re-carb it as I have found that when you freeze beer CO2 comes out of suspension. Shouldn't affect the quality of the beer though.

Gotcha. Hope that is what it is.

You have the regulator turned OFF right?

Ya. :D

So I just pulled everything out and gave the kegs a good shake and you can hear the iceberg inside spin around heh. Feel a bit silly now for letting this happen.

Guess this is what I get for not having a temp probe on my kegerator. Thanks for all your help guys...glad it wasn't a serious problem.

oh snaps. with everyone saying its probably frozen I was thinking to myself why is the keezer so cold that its freezing the kegs no temp controller will do that to you. afterall it is a FREEZER.

get the ebay one for $25, buy an electrical outlet for 1.50, buy a 10' extension cord, and a small radio shack project box for $5.

cheapest your going to find.

I actually have a space single stage temp controller I'd sell for $25 it would work just fine for a keezer.

-=Jason=-

Back