Witbier Grand Cru (EX)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdwj

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Belgian Wit -
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
5 gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
90 mins
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10-14 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks
*EDIT* 60 minute boil - not 90!!

8 oz. Carapils malt steep for 30 minutes@ 155 in one gal of water
6 pounds of Extra Light Dried Malt Extract @60 minutes
1 oz. Hallertau bittering hops @60 minutes
2 pounds of Clover Honey @ 20 minutes
1 oz. crushed Coriander @ 5 minutes
1 oz. sweet Orange Peel @ 5 minutes
1 oz. Hallertau aroma hops @ 2 minutes
Belgian Witbier Wyeast 3944 or White Labs Belgian Wit

I did this as a full boil. 5 gallons plus the water used for steeping.

So did this turn out like a dark, fruity, strong belgian? I'm new to homebrewing so I have trouble recognizing how a beer will look and taste just from the malt and hop profile...

Maybe you could add a quick description of how it tasted. Thanks.

I was looking for a grand cru style belgian to make and I have most of these ingredients, except I have 2 cans of Liquid Malt Extract ( 6.6lbs ) instead of dry.
I do have 1lb of light DME sitting around and I only have 1 lb of honey. Was wondering how it would affect the taste if I used 1 lb of honey and added the 1 lb of DME instead ? or should I just get another lb of honey ?. Everything else the same, the hops the coriander, orange peel and white labs yeast.
Anyone try making this beer ?

The honey will help to stay light in body with a higher ABV. If you switch out 1 lb for DME you will be fine but it will just have a slightly higher FG. No big deal!

I'll prob just get the lb of honey just to stay true to the Grand Cru style.
Question about the orange peel and coriander - I was going to just dry out some orange peel from a few oranges I have sitting around, I dont have a scale. How much would comprise 1oz ( 1-2 oranges ?) after its dried out ? and coriander, I can just take from the spice rack right ?

Grand Cru isn't a style. This beer style would be a wit. Grand Cru means "great growth" in French and is supposed to be a specification of quality in a beer or wine.

Anyways, you don't need to dry the orange peel. If it were a 5 gallon batch I would use 3 or 4 oranges. The coriander is the same as what you would buy in the grocery store.

I normally add mine to the end of the boil but they will be fine in the secondary. You will need to make sure you sanitize them though. Soak them in vodka for a few days to kill any nasties that might be in them and add it (vodka and all) into the secondary.

Grand Cru isn't a style. This beer style would be a wit. Grand Cru means "great growth" in French and is supposed to be a specification of quality in a beer or wine.

Anyways, you don't need to dry the orange peel. If it were a 5 gallon batch I would use 3 or 4 oranges. The coriander is the same as what you would buy in the grocery store.

Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn't "witbier" have to contain white wheat? So this is a "great growth" but not a wit.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Belgian Wit Style- Imperial Yeast - White Out Yeast
Yeast Starter: Yes - 1.6L
Batch Size (Gallons): 5 gallons
Original Gravity: 1.084
Final Gravity: Will update when it finishes
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60 mins
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):14 days @ 68 Deg. F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):14 days @ 68 Deg. F

8 oz. Carapils malt steep for 30 minutes@ 155 in one gal of water
6 pounds of Light Dried Malt Extract @ 60 minutes
1 oz. Hallertau bittering hops @ 60 minutes
2 pounds of Clover Honey @ 20 minutes
1 oz. crushed Coriander @ 5 minutes
1 oz. sweet Orange Peel @ 5 minutes
1 oz. Hallertau aroma hops @ 2 minutes
Imperial Yeast - White Out Yeast

I did this as a full boil. 5 gallons plus the water used for steeping. 6 gallons total

So I know I am reviving a long dead post, but I have just tried BJ's Grand Cru and wanted to try and make something close to that beer.

My substitutions are in bold, I think the main differences are that my LHBS was out of Extra Light DME so I went with just Light DME, I used my sister in laws organic Honey (shameless plug, link below) and tried a new yeast strain/company - Imperial Yeast, White Out.

My OG came out quite a bit higher that the original post, I will do a comparioson in Beer Smith to see if substituting the Light DME for the Extra LDME might be the reason or if its just the honey (my bet is the honey).

As it finishes out I will update on the overall beer and the yeast profile.

:mug:

https://www.facebook.com/PhancyFarmsOrganicVegetables/

http://www.imperialyeast.com/

Back