buying a burner SP10 or KAB4?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the bayou sp2 and it gets the boil going fast! Well, a pot of water anyways, I am still piecing my all grain setup together. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll add my praise to the sq14... I have the same burner mounted on a homebuilt stand and I absolutely love it... it handles 10 gallon batches in my keggle with ease.

I really like my KAB6 (except that it doesn't handle wind very well on its own), but the problem is that there aren't many people who have tried more than one and can actually compare. Whatever you get, though, it will be WAY better than stovetop :mug:

I have the KAB4 and it's much heavier than you might think. That may not be an issue for you but the smaller burner (xx-14) is a smaller version and does the job with less fuel.

any considerations for these two burners when boiling outdoors (as in not in a garage but on my deck)?

I sure wish you guys with the SQ-14 could explain to me how you get 10 gallons to boil. I have a hard time getting it to keep a rolling boil on 5 gallon batches in my keggle. I had such a hard time that I went back to my SS 7 gallon pot for 5 gallon batches.

I am about to put the BG14 burner in the SQ-14 stand and match it up with a 30 pis regulator. I just can't get enough out of my SQ-14 with the keggle. It's a shame too, I love that square stand....

I prefer something more like the SP-10 since it has a burner rated for higher pressure and seems to handle wind better. The burner in the SQ-14 says high pressure, but it is really only rated for 10 psi. From what I have seen of the larger banjos in the KAB6 and KAB4 they seem to waste a lot of heat. I guess that's a bonus if you are brewing outside and want the extra heat to stay warm. :)

Straight from the Bayou Classic website. http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/bg10_cast_iron_burner.htm
High Pressure Cast Iron Propane Burner description:
bcbg10_cast_iron_propane_cast_burner.jpg

The High Pressure Cast Iron Propane Burner replaces the Bayou Classic propane burners in the round burner frames (SP10, SP50). This particular high pressure cast iron burner can handle a higher heat then our fry burner and a regulator with a higher PSI. The Bayou Classic High Pressure Cast Iron Burner does include the shutter. Orifices for this cast iron burner are available for purchase. This burner gives off a blue high heat flame. The face of this cast iron burner measures 4 inches in diameter.

Many people have asked us for a BTU for this cast iron propane burner. The actual cast iron element (burner) does not determine the BTUs. The regulator determines the BTUs. You can use the 10 PSI, 20 PSI, 30 PSI and 40 PSI regulator kit with it.

And what they say about the burner in the SQ-14
High Pressure Cast Iron Fry Burner description:
bcbg12_cast_iron_propane_cast_burner.jpg

The Bayou Classic high pressure cast iron fry burner is considered a high pressure burner but in Cajun terms is low pressure. This cast iron fry burner performs well when used with 10 PSI regulators. If you put a higher BTU, the flame is less controllable. You will also have an issue with the burner receiving too much propane, which will result in your flame blowing itself out. We do use this burner in the SQ14 propane outdoor cookers and 1114 stainless steel propane outdoor cookers. The Bayou Classic high pressure cast iron fry burner includes the air shutter. Orifices are available for purchase separately. The face of this cast iron burner measures 5 1/2 inches in diameter.

Many people have asked us for a BTU for this cast iron propane burner. The actual cast iron element (burner) does not determine the BTUs. The regulator determines the BTUs. You can use the 10 PSI regulator kit with it.

I sure wish you guys with the SQ-14 could explain to me how you get 10 gallons to boil. I have a hard time getting it to keep a rolling boil on 5 gallon batches in my keggle. I had such a hard time that I went back to my SS 7 gallon pot for 5 gallon batches.

I am about to put the BG14 burner in the SQ-14 stand and match it up with a 30 pis regulator. I just can't get enough out of my SQ-14 with the keggle. It's a shame too, I love that square stand....

Hell, I can easily boil 14+ gallons with my SQ-14. Something must be wrong with yours. Make sure you have the correct orifice and a regulator that will supply at least 10 psi. Most (if not all) SQ-14's are furnished with a high pressure orifice and an adjustable 0-10 psi regulator. I can even maintain a roiling boil on my much weaker low pressure Camp Chef burner, though I no longer use it for my BK burner.

Try disconnecting the burner from the tank. Reconnect the burner and with the regulator (or needle valve) turned off, slowly open the tank valve all the way. Next, open the control valve (or turn the regulator knob, if you have the adjustable regulator) and ignite the burner. Adjust the air damper for a clean burn.

In addition to the regulator check if your shutter is fully open. My 5PSI regulator is not enough for a 14 gallon boil in a 20 gal pot without a heat stick, but the 10PSI should be fine.

You might also make you have a good propane tank valve. Sometimes the anti-leak safety feature in them will engage and only allow a small amount of gas through the regulator. You can usually hear it click when in engages and disengages.

I had a KAB and it went through a LOT of propane. I'd only get about 3-4 5 gallon batches (heat sparge water through boil) per 20# tank of gas. After I built a wind guard it was the only gripe I had. . . too much propane per batch of beer.

B

I think you need a fairly large diameter pot (bigger than a keg) to take full advantage of the burner size of the KAB and they are very temperamental in wind so a wind guard is a good idea.

Thought I would report back. I went with an SQ-14 after reading a ton of threads and comments here, and it works great after 8 batches, some 5g and some 10g. They are 49.97 with free shipping at amazon as of my buying and still at the same price today.

I had bought one of these:
bcbg10_cast_iron_propane_cast_burner.jpg
and though it worked for heating an extra pot of water, it produces soot all over my kettle bottoms...after much adjusting. It's not a bayou burner, but similar from a turkey fryer I got from a guy for 10 bucks. It has a nice regulator.. but after some soot went into my last batch pour some water from the kettle, this thing will go back to craigslist once my new burner arrives. I'm going with a second sq-14 after re-reading threads again in consideration of a different possible burner with higher btu.

I got the 8 batches I mentioned from a non-full 20lb propane tank. Thus, I've decided I like the SQ14 over the banjos, which I contemplated many times, due to the propane preservation.

The sq-14 stand is nice, the burner is nice. Keeps a rolling boil without any problem whatsoever without going full throttle, easily portable etc.

What all are you using the burner for during those 8 batches? Heating sparge water, just boiling wort and how long are your boils? I'm just trying to get a better picture of your propane use.

I have an SQ14 and a Banjo. Both are great burners but the SQ14 is much more efficient than the Banjo. SQ14 is also very powerful for 5 - 10 gallon batches. I've never used it for anything larger than that.

SQ-14 is amazing. Haven't used anything else, but couldn't be happier. Done as much as a 13g boil with no problems!

Back