Need some ideas for Brutus style system...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've now got 2 ten gallon batches under my belt with my new electric brewery. Here's a pic of my setup.
brewstation.jpg

I'm using heat sticks and so far Mashing has gone very well. The problem is with my recirculation. I want to get up to 168-170 for 35 minutes of recirculation. I generally start with my "sparge water" in my BK at about 185. I recirculate for a while with the Mash tun (cooler), but that only seems to get the mash up to about 164 or so. I usually wind up adding some more heat to the BK as it recirculates, but it's easy to overshoot 168-170. I mean, the water in the BK is already 175 or so. To get the mash tun up to 170 I have to get the BK up to about 185, then it'll overshoot.

I guess my question is, do you just leave your BK at 170 and recirculate until the temp in the mash tun is also 170? Can I be losing 5 degrees through the hoses as I recirculate?

I'm planning to upgrade my system next summer with a RIMS tube and another Keggle so I can try out sparging. But until then, I could use some advice on how to handle the recirculation with the system I have.

Many thanks for the ideas. Cheers:mug:

Nah, I did get the fan from a hydroponics place, though. Got a great deal.

Latest posts

Back