Infected Brew I think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodique2

Reaction score
After a couple of years on hiatus I have begun to brew again. This time around I have moved to all grain but have run into problems. Each batch I have attempted has been infected. The first batch had the white bubbles and film in both the fermentor and bottles. Depending on the day I had at work this batch was drinkable. I decided not to give up and tried again. With each attempt I researched methods for proper sanitization. This time around I have looked at the fermentor and see large white clumps floating on the top. The white clumps look like icebergs. In addition, the fermentor has been bubbling for about a week. Is it safe to say that this batch will be a sacrifice to the beer gods? Thanks.

Sounds like it could be normal yeast floating on top. How does it taste and smell?

Does it look like this ??? Probably just some stuff that fell in from the sides or hasn't dropped yet. . . . Let it sit . . . Read The Sticky's
If its drinkable why pitch it ??? . . . .:mug: These pics were after 16 days in the primary . . .

100_1253.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1252-1.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1255.jpg
[/IMG]

Sadly it does not look like the pics. This was my first time using a glass fermentor as a primary. Maybe I am jumping the gun. I try a smell and taste test. Thanks

Posting pictures will help us see if it is an infection or if its Krausen that hasn't fallen. Since I have switched to AG I found that some of the left over materials from my fermentations have not fallen to the bottom. The best way to locate the problem is to write all of your steps down before brew day, and if possible during brew day. This way we might be able to determine what practices your doing or equipment that your using that is causing the infections... If they are infections. How many batches have you done?

ah. i know your problem. you have never actually seen a fermentation. chances are your brew is just fine. let it sit on the yeast for 4 weeks from brew day. then bottle and let it sit for another 4-6 weeks.

Back