looking for a piney hop for IPA, suggestions for recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
im going to be attempting an ipa for my second batch. i generally like earthy/piney/herb type brews. so i looked up some hops that can resemble. i found simcoe, but also read that can produce some kinda cat piss flavor or aroma? hahaha, not sure if i wanna risk that one. i also found perle that is used in snpa, but im wondering if this will be out of place for an ipa. so i have a recipe im going to attempt. i wanna know what i should sub or whatever to get the piney/earthy brew im looking for. thanks-

1/2lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
1/2lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
9.15lbs Light LME
1oz Columbus - 60min
1oz Perle- 30min
1oz Amarillo- 15 min
1oz Cascade- 5 min
1/2oz Perle- DRY HOP
1/2oz Cascade- DRY HOP
us-05 yeast

also, this was going to be my first time trying a partial mash w/ the 2row and crystal. is this an appropriate combo, even worth it, or should i just steep the crystal 10l?

so should i drop the perle? maybe sub the columbus for chinook?
i dont want a cat piss brew w/ the simcoe, can anyone back up simcoe?

Perle + Amarillo + Cascade === grapefruit juice.

I'll ditto on chinook and simcoe, although I'll disagree with Forrest. I find chinook pinier.

+1 on what david said, Chinook is the most piney I've tasted, and the recipe shown looks like it will have a very citrusy hop profile. You also mentioned liking earthy and herbal flavors, which I relate to Nugget, US SAAZ, and Fuggles.

what do you guys think about subbing the perle w/ chinook? is it legit to dry hop with chinook?

Yes-but I find Chinook dry hop aroma to be grapefruity, the flavor to me is piney however. I find Columbus to be pretty herbally in flavor, so I think you can make a killer pine brew with Chinook, Simcoe and Columbus. If it were me I would bitter with the Columbus, and use the Chinook and Simcoe as suggested prior for flavor. Or Use the Chinook in the bitter as well as with the flavor additons of Simcoe.

Yes-but I find Chinook dry hop aroma to be grapefruity, the flavor to me is piney however. I find Columbus to be pretty herbally in flavor, so I think you can make a killer pine brew with Chinook, Simcoe and Columbus. If it were me I would bitter with the Columbus, and use the Chinook and Simcoe as suggested prior for flavor. Or Use the Chinook in the bitter as well as with the flavor additons of Simcoe.

thanks man, that was some good advice:mug:

I made a heffeweizen with the addition of hallertau hops and it put off a real evergreen or "piney" flavor profile in the end product. Maybe that may be an option for you as well.

I actually had a friend once who tried making a "pine beer", and instead of using hops he used spruce and pine needles in the boil. I sure doesn't sound good to me, but apparently he thought it did. Otherwise, some the most piney hop Ive used so far is Simcoe.

has anybody had the cat piss thing from simcoe? i think im gonna chance it cause some of my favorite ipa's use it....

Hallertau is more herbally than piney. Simcoe has a low cohumulone so it is not really bitter it is just full of flavor. Chinook has a much higher cohumulone so it is better for bittering. If you have had Arrogant bastard you know what Chinook tastes like.

Forrest

FWIW I make an IPA with Centennial, Simcoe, and Columbus. I think Simcoe + Columbus + any American hop would be good.

That's good to hear, I'll be brewing an IPA soon, with that exact hop combo (Centennial, Columbus & Simcoe). I was a little concerned about it, since each of those hop varieties seems to have a different flavor/aroma profile. I thought it might get a little muddled.

Latest posts

Back