First All Grain Batch Yesterday - Thanks HBT!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de_ronde

Reaction score
I completed my first AG yesterday. A nice and easy cream ale. It was an AG Kit from Northern Brewer, using their crush.

7 lbs American 2 row
.25 lbs Belgian Biscuit
.75 lbs Gambrinus Honey Malt
1 oz. Cluster 7.5AA - 60 mins
Safale US-05

Using a 5 gallon Igloo Cooler MLT with a stainless braid.
New 8 Gallon Stainless Brewpot w/ spigot from williamsbrewing.com

Most of the mysteries of All Grain brewing were dispelled by the regular posters here.

I was using new equipment, and had never done this before, but despite
being a big nervous, it went well.

I hit my numbers for temp for both mash and sparge. (Single infusion mash, no mash out, batch sparge.) The cooler didn't lose anything over the 60 minutes of mash time.

Efficiency seems to have landed at 77%. (5.5 gallons with an O.G. of 1.040)

Thanks to all of you for your help and guidance, Especially Bobby_M. I consulted his All Grain Primer several times during the brew day.

It's in the primary chugging like crazy with a huge krausen.
I'm very happy.

Cheers!

Keep the fermentation in the lower end of the yeasts fermentation temperature range. Believe me you will be happy if you can do this.

Congats on the bursted stone fruit of brewing (yes that means cherry). and keep up the good work. It feels great to hit numbers and come out with a great eff. Tinker with the things a bit and you will have a great system before you know it.

I was really nervous about low efficiency, in part due to all of the threads here asking for troubleshooting help. There is some dead space at the bottom of the cooler, but it all seemed to work out.

Going All Grain feels much more like "really" making beer than all of the extract batches I have done through the years. I'm hooked.

No surprise, I am ready to do a second batch soon. I need to buy another 6.5 Gallon Carboy.

Latest posts

Back