The hop shortage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Problem for me is that I don't know how long I'll be living here. Kinda hard to bring your hop plants with you...

I can guarantee you that I'll be digging my plants up if I ever move.

Give me another year and there will be NO hop shortage here at my house with 6 rhizomes growing and I can only physically brew 6 batches a year or so... I will be able to brew some serious IPAs lol

I've got 3lbs on order from Hops Direct, but the shipping notice says 5 lbs.

I'll repost Thursday when they arrive on what exact weight is.

Mustangj said:
What kind?

Item 01: 1 each HGALP1 Galena Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 31.79
Item 02: 1 each HWILP1 Willamette Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 29.13
Item 03: 1 each HVANL1 Vanguard Leaf Hops: 1 lb. $ 25.94

SubTotal: $ 86.86

Galena is supposed to be a pretty nutral bittering hop and Vanguard is a cross from Hallertau. Willamette and Hallertau are my two favorite finishing hops, so I'm happy with those in bulk.

I consider myself lucky. The local homebrew club did their annual order and bought a pallet of grain and a couple of hundred pounds of hops.
I bought 2 bags of Canadian 2 row and 2 pounds of Cascade for 111.50. That's 4 batches...80 gallons should last at least a month.

Mustangj said:
Midwest is selling Northern Brewer for 3.25oz

Dammit, I missed that somehow, I think because I was looking in domestic hops. Just called Northern Brewer (the store) and tried to cancel, hopefully they can catch it before it goes out. Thanks for the heads up

My rhizomes arrived today... my wife calls me:

"Hunny, you have these little trees that came for you today"

Gotta love her!

I live in oregon, corn for ethanol does not grow well here as it needs to dry in the fields before harvest and we get wet falls so ;hops are not losing growing space to corn however because of the growing acres of corn other crops are going up and some of those crops will grow in oregon, and oregon is growing canola to make ethanol, theres atleast one refinery operting here and more planned.

i have a small acerage and am putting it in hops. I hope to have a sellable crop in 2009(the AA might be a tad low first year) As I will not be a major grower I plan on selling all my hops to homebrewers online. I don't expect prices to drop to 2007 levels anytime soon even if theres a bumper crop. Demands is larger than supply and not alot of acerage is going to be planted anytime soon. All farmers are doing well right now. As a farmer i feel its about time. However the fact that the worlds poor will be suffering even more does bother me

reshp1 said:
I just paid $7.75 an 1 oz for Northern Brewer. Hold me. :(

I showed a friend how to brew this weekend and we decided on doing a California Common. I figured for the sake of showing my friend how simple it can be, I would just purchase an LD Carlson kit from LHBS. I figured this would be the easiest way to get some Northern Brewer without having to worry about if the LHBS had any in the fridge.

I was pretty upset to see they switched out the Northern Brewer for Cascade with a little piece of paper saying "Due to the global shortage...":mad:

Here's an article I just found. It's nice to see that the growers are responding to the shortage. Of course, the hop yields will take two years to have an effect, but hope for the distant future is better than no hope at all!

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/3048

And of course, this probably means that Washington apples will increase in price...hmmm, beer or apples, beer or apples...I think I'll go with beer.

shmevinator said:
Here's an article I just found. It's nice to see that the growers are responding to the shortage. Of course, the hop yields will take two years to have an effect, but hope for the distant future is better than no hope at all!

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/3048

And of course, this probably means that Washington apples will increase in price...hmmm, beer or apples, beer or apples...I think I'll go with beer.

Cheaper hops or more expensive apfelwine? :eek:

I was at my local store the other day and they are limiting hops to 4 oz at a time and they are paying up to $30 a pound for certain hops. I am soooo glad I ordered 5lbs last fall. I may have to add a little more but I averaged $11 a pound when I bought mine. It will last me at least another year or more.

New article about hop shortage in Wired Magazine. Geeks are just finding out about beer ingredient prices going up:cross:

Linky

New article about hop shortage in Wired Magazine. Geeks are just finding out about beer ingredient prices going up:cross:

Linky

I have to admit I have no clue what Coors Banquet is, but just the Coors name with this quote made me laugh a bit....

The larger commercial brewers are better off. Most have long-term contracts for hops, barley and rice, and are doing whatever is necessary not to tinker with their brand names.

"Coors Banquet has been tweaked very little since it was introduced in the 1800s," says Molson Coors spokeswoman Jenny Volanakis. "We don't play around with our beers."

EDIT: After a 10 second search I see its just another name for Coors Original, so my laugh got a bit louder. :)

Back