Am I an alcoholic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed_brews_now

Reaction score
I consult this site to figure out how to brew better beer. I am on it every day.
When I start reading I want to reach for a beer. Even though I say I won't I end up having one in my hand and drinking it!

Well my friend, I am on this site everyday as well and listening to brewing podcasts wanting a brew. I do this all in the hopes of drinking an excellent beer while repeating above mentioned process. :mug:

I've often wondered this myself.... SWMBO says that if you have to ask you are one. I can admit that my drinking has quadrupled since I started brewing. I used to drink 1-2 beers every other night. Now I am 4-6 a night. I need to cut back but this hobby is so damn "addicting" :tank:

If you're having just one, you're not an alcy... If you're finishing off a case (or keg) while reading the site, every day/evening, then you could have an issue. :drunk:

One a day home brew can be considered your B Complex dose for the day. :rockin:

One a day home brew can be considered your B Complex dose for the day. :rockin:

THIS!

And just to throw in my $0.02, I typically have a beer or two with dinner each night, more on occasion, and I am still able to get my school work done and it doesn't interfere with my ability to function whatsoever. If that sounds like you, you're not an alcoholic. :ban:

I guess that would depend on how many times a day you read the forum? Once a day vs 10x a day...you get it.

The CAGE questionnaire:

Two "yes" responses indicate that the respondent should be investigated further. The questionnaire asks the following questions:

1. Have you ever felt you needed to Cut down on your drinking?
2. Have people Annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
3. Have you ever felt Guilty about drinking?
4. Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning (Eye-opener) to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?

If you answer "yes" to number 2, but those who annoyed you were some sanctimonious religious, prohibitionist or obese ****head then I say disregard. The next time someone tries to tell me beer in unhealthy as they stuff a doughnut into their fat heads and reach for their blood pressure pills I'm going to choke them with a Twizzler. :)

I think almost all of us are clinically alcoholics :) They have a very broad definition and most of us will fit into it. I used to have a beer or 2 every night but have cut back to just a few on weekends to lose weight

Is everything you do, all day long geared towards drinking alcohol? Do you go for drinks with the highest ABV in order to get F'd up faster?

I think about 99.99% of us are NOT alcoholics... Even if the balance of people here are, who cares? We're not here to judge you... Just make something you can enjoy drinking, and enjoy in moderation...

BTW, everyone gets F'd up from time to time...

My friends and I used to say "no we aren't alcoholics, we're just drunks becuse we don't have to go to all those meetings"

:mug:

I just got called an alchy Sunday night and my response pissed off swmbo grandfather. I said "At least I don't dress like I'm going to the gym and then spend 2 hours at the legion.".

By all classifications and definitions I most certainly am to be considered an alcoholic. I drink daily, and several beers a night. But I don't drink so much that I get F'd up everynight, and actually it's pretty rare these days that I drink enough that I get F'd up - though that's likely because of my tolerance. However, even though some would call me a functioning alcoholic since I don't let the alcohol ever negatively affect my life, I do not intentionally drink to get trashed or even to get to a point where I "feel good" or "feel right". That to me says to hell with the modern day definitions of an alcoholic. I like beer, so I drink it. And yeah, I do like how it makes me feel of course, but I also don't like being drunk.

It's obviously bad for my health in the long run, but so is doing too much of any of the enjoyable things in life. People have exercised themselves to death as well. I don't let it bother me and the wife doesn't bother me about it at all because I always drank often. Though, when we met I was younger and we would go out clubbing and get much more trashed drinking in clubs and be hung over the next day till 5pm. We don't do that anymore so take it as you would personally judge it - better situation or worse?

I just don't care what people think, say, classify my drinking as, or whatever. I'm doing what I like and am not harming anyone else in the process. I don't ever need a drink in the morning before work but on the weekends I do start drinking early. So what? It's my life :)

Rev.

They way I look at it is; beer is a food item. You eat everyday; so what is wrong with having a beer everyday. How many you choose to have may influence the answer but if you keep it in moderation, there should be no issues. Now... where did I put my beer?

What if you don't drink any other alcohol other than beer? Is that simply a beeraholic?

I think almost all of us are clinically alcoholics :) They have a very broad definition and most of us will fit into it. I used to have a beer or 2 every night but have cut back to just a few on weekends to lose weight

Anyone that is chemically dependent of beer, in other words, cannot easily break the routine of frequent drinking is considered an alcoholic. I drink on weekends only and if there is something going on that weekend that prevent me from drinking, I do it without a major effort. Have done it in several occasions. Hence I don't think I'm an alcoholic. Having said that, I have absolutely nothing against "functional alcoholics", that is, people who can't break the routine of drinking but don't let the alcohol interfere with their personal lives.

What if you don't drink any other alcohol other than beer? Is that simply a beeraholic?

You know, I know several chocoholics but I've never seen any chocohol. We have an epidemic of people who don't understand word endings. They're probably all workaholics.

:D:D

EDIT: It makes me extra-sad that "chocoholic" and "workaholic" are not flagged by spell-check.

You're only an alcholic if your in denial. :cross: Since I know that I love to drink and love beer, I know that I'm not in denial. :mug:

beerloaf

I love to drink beer, and ever since homebrewing I drink a lot more of it. I do not let it interfere with my personal life. Lately I have to tell myself I have to cut back. Not because of the effect on my relationship or job, but because I have gained a lot of weight since homebrewing. Like, I mean, about 15 pounds in a year. I quit working construction and moved to a desk job right around the time I started brewing, so I am sure it has to do with both of those reasons.

I find myself in love with beer. I am always reading hbt, and always thinking about what I am going to brew next. I am infatuated with EVERYTHING beer. The culture, how its made, its history . . etc.

SWMBO is always giving me the stink eye when I haev 3-4 a few times during the week. I make it to drink it, but need to reserve it for the weekends only, and have been getting back into the gym and running regularly keeps me from wanting beer. The problem is, I usually only brew high abv beers, so 3-4 = 3-4 22 oz big beers. I catch a nice buzz, but then . . . . yeah, the next day I am tired, but not hung over.

Anyway, I think by definition I am more of a beeroholic. Nothing wrong with that.

Remember this... if your life gets in the way of your drinking, you have a problem.

I've often wondered this myself.... SWMBO says that if you have to ask you are one. I can admit that my drinking has quadrupled since I started brewing. I used to drink 1-2 beers every other night. Now I am 4-6 a night. I need to cut back but this hobby is so damn "addicting" :tank:

Damn dude, might want to consider cutting back.

Damn dude, might want to consider cutting back.

Yeah... I will. I am purposely letting my supply run low to cut the availability. If it is there I'll drink it, if I have to go get some I won't. It's not a dependency as I don't sit and crave/fiend for one, I just over do what is available. Tonight I am going to the gym with SWMBO and try to get off the weight I've put on.

In my younger days I use to buy large quanities of beer to get drunk.

As I got older I started buying small quanities of specialty beers to sip on and enjoy the taste, hangovers started to hurt to much.

Now I'm trying to make mine own beer as my friends that I use to drink large amounts of beer with, grimce and ask "how do you drink that stuff? Pass me a Budlight".

I always ask them...what's drinkin Budlight and makin love in the ocean have in common? there both ****** near water:off:

Nah, no problem here.:drunk:

Yeah... I will. I am purposely letting my supply run low to cut the availability. If it is there I'll drink it, if I have to go get some I won't. It's not a dependency as I don't sit and crave/fiend for one, I just over do what is available. Tonight I am going to the gym with SWMBO and try to get off the weight I've put on.

Just do what I do, don't put them in the fridge. I'll pop a 6 pack in the fridge and stretch it for the week, when that's gone the next 6 pack goes in and I wait 3 days before popping the first one.

The next time someone tries to tell me beer in unhealthy as they stuff a doughnut into their fat heads and reach for their blood pressure pills I'm going to choke them with a Twizzler. :)

:off:
Thanks for the new signature...

Stuff like this has always pissed me off. Just like my former doctor who was a 2 pack a day smoker.

The next time someone tries to tell me beer in unhealthy as they stuff a doughnut into their fat heads and reach for their blood pressure pills I'm going to choke them with a Twizzler. :)

:off: Been thinking about this part, maybe a little too much... I wouldn't choke them with a Twizzler. It's a waste of a good Twizzler after all, and you'd need to use a looooong one to fit around their fat necks... I think it would be more 'fitting' to sodomize them with a week old cruller. :eek: :ban::drunk:

over do it a little? maybe you should sit down a while. you know, sit this round out. you got a crazy look in your eye....

(j/k:p)

goddamnit. i just changed my signature today, now im gonna have to change it again.

Back