cleaning carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bottle brush with a 90 degree bend in it really helps too. Lets you clean all the dried Krausen and muck from the curved part of the neck

After i rack from a carboy, i get the yeast if im going to wash it, then i put a shot of dish soap and will it with water. I let it sit for a couple days, sometimes from being lazy, then i hit it with the brush, stuff comes off real easy after its been sitting. When you rinse, angle the water stream, and the water will shoot down the sides of the carboy.

PBW.

Fill it with hot tap h2o. Dump in the correct amt of PBW. Let it sit a while. Shake it to wash away any crap around the top of carboy. Pour out a few gallons. Pick up and shake. Rinse with hot tap water. No scrubbing with a 90 degree brush required.

Oxy-clean + hot water, about 1 tablespoon per gallon, and let it sit for about 15-30 minutes. Shake, pour some out, shake, pour some out, shake, pour some out... (until you've poured everything out). Rinse. Done.

Oxy works great, if its really stuck let it sit overnight. PBW works excellent as well, just much more expensive so I save it for things like keg cleaning days where I need the stuff to do a lot of work for me in a short amount of time.

As little as I brew and @ about $0.30 an ounce(for the 8Lb bottle), it's not going to kill my bank account to use a great product designed specifically for cleaning my brewing equipment. That's just over $1.00 to fill a carboy with 5 gallons and I can reuse it on something else.

Like the others stated, soaking in oxyclean does wonders with no need to scrub

I have found oxyclean to work really well, I can't remember the last time I have to use a brush. I usually rinse all the loose stuff out of the carboy then fill with about half a scoop of oxyclean and water to full. I then just leave the carboy that way until I need to put it back in service. I use the autosiphon to empty so it gets cleaned as well.

. . . then fill with about half a scoop of oxyclean and water to full.
Everything he said, except I only use about a gallon and a half of water, and less oxiclean. I seal the top with foil and a rubber band, then flip it over so that the oxiclean is in contact with the crusty part. Soak over night and rinse in the morning.

Back