Beer Advocate Reviews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evan! said:
Yeah, because BMC bashing never gets old :rolleyes:

I know their an easy target, but when you can make something way better in your garage, than a huge corporation, they should be bashed. If we could do the same with computers and cars, where would the Japanese be?

Disclaimer: I've been drinking a freshly tapped pale ale, so im not responsible for abrasive comment's:drunk:

PseudoChef said:
But you're allowed to repeatedly bash Rolling Rock? (as per my post the other day).

I'm not wholesale bashing an entire generalized style of beer, I'm offering my critical opinion on one particular brand. There's a rather large difference between criticizing (repeatedly :D) the horrible skunkiness in Rolling Rock, and the almost hourly self-congratulatory dismissal of anything made by Bud, Miller, Coors and the like that has seemed to take the beer snob world by storm. Don't get me wrong---if I were to do an honest critique of each of their beers, I'd not have a great many nice things to say---but it seems to me that it's just "the cool thing to do" anymore---bashing American Light Lager, wholesale, without exception, for the sake of expressing your disagreement with mainstream America, and thus, your supposed uniqueness and beersnobbishness. They're the whipping boy, like White Zin in the wine world.

While this craft HAS led me to bash BMC quite a bit...I agree that it is sometimes taken to extremes.

This past weekend, I was at the Langerado music festival in the sunny Everglades of southern FLA. We were not supposed to have any glass on the grounds, and in the name of safety-we complied. The result was massive amounts of BMC in cans..that's what we were relegated to. Inside the concert grounds, we were not allowed to bring beer-but we were able to keister about a 12 pack on every trip in there. Inside they had a few Leinie's, and Pilsener Urquell on tap for $6 a beer.

Say what you will, but I was not about to pay that kind of money instead, we drank BMC all weekend and it really wasn't that bad. It is still beer after all.

I agree with Evan!

No disrespect to the OP, some of the BA reviews are good reading. But I do tire of the knee-jerk BMC bashing bandwagon jumping.

You may not like their beer, but they are all that's standing between you and the growing hoardes of neo-prohibitionists.

Personally I just dont get the Beer Rating thing but, hey that's just me. I mean if I really got my rocks off rating beer I'd certify myself as a judge and rate to my hearts content.

Ratebeerians take this to a whole nuther' level and it tends to be more of a statistics race than anything else.

As for Macro. While I will generally choose another brand that is more micro, I can still appreciate Macro. Especially, on hot summer days of yard work and the beer is really cold. Another instance I tend to choose Macro is when eating Asiatic cuisine. Usually I'll have a Macro, preferably asian branded, and Sake and I find they complement the meal.

The only thing worse than Macro bashing is bashing personal preference. That is just juvenile.

Evan! said:
They're the whipping boy, like White Zin in the wine world.

Hey... I like white zinfandel... :(

But he's right. There's a reason for the term "Joe Sixpack." The average American likes BMC. If they didn't like it, they wouldn't buy it.

A rant against BMC is silly without considering the American culture as a whole. I feel as strongly about the food I eat as many here feel about the beer they drink. As a culture, we have sacrificed quite a bit in the past 150 years... much of it for the sake of convenience! Quality of food and drink is only a small part of this. It's an absolutely huge can of worms.

I don't think the bashing is entirely undeserved. It's apples to oranges to compare BMC to most decent craft beers, but there are plenty of cheaper macro lagers that provide the same positive attributes of BMC (cheap, can, light body, refreshing when cold, etc) for a more reasonable price that are overlooked merely because of advertising. Joe sixpack doesn't want the cashier at the local Safeway thinking he's slumming it by buying Rainier, Olympia, PBR or Milwaukee's Best, despite the fact that it tastes pretty much the same and is usually quite a bit cheaper. If I buy a BMC type beer, it's usually for portability (ie camping) and price is the deciding factor

I sincerely think that after a very long time tasting and reviewing oodles of beer, one can truly appreciate light american lager beer without care of stigmatization.

I don't know why people feel the need to project such hate against a style of beer.

:confused:

Hate to necropost, but I was looking up a beer I've never had and found it on BA. I then poked around other beer reviews and the terminology and phrasing they use to talk beer crack me the hell up. Either these people have ultra-sensitive palettes that I don't, or they are making stuff up to sound as beer snobbish as possible. Either way, good for a laugh!

Back