Supporting your local winery...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janzik

Reaction score
I think I can with most certainty say that we all agree that it's a good thing to support your local brew pub. While I enjoy a bottle of Mondavi or a Ruffino Chianti, I think it's still very important to support the local winery. The SWMBO decided that we needed to get the F out of the house today and go somewhere. Since I just bought her a GPS we decided to take it along with us for the ride and see where it would take us. The Garmin Nuvi 750 has destination options and "Winery" was one of them. So we found the first winery near where we were. We found Silver Decoy Winery in East Windsor, NJ.

Being from a heavily populated/congested part of NJ, the Silver Decoy was in the middle of bum-f nowhere. The owner (one of 7) that was there was very nice and we sampled several of their wines. We wound up picking up a bottle of Cabernet Franc (my personal favorite style, which seems generally hard to come by in your average liquor store), a Foch (a favorite of my wife) and a blush (a Cayuga/Cab Franc blend) that my wife liked.

Anyway, it was a good hour or so out and we found a new "local" place to support. If you get the chance, try it in your neck of the woods. You never know, you may find your new favorite bottle...

Lots of wineries around here. Seems that many of the hop yards were ripped out in during the late '90s glut and replaced with grape vines. Now the reverse is happening.

Back