White mold looking stuff on top of floating fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesnbeers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, what is this white stuff on top of the peaches? The beer was made 5 months ago with WL Sour Mix. I'm planning on letting the beer stay on the peaches for a couple of months.

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

It is probably just a pellicle from something in the mix. Nothing to worry about.

Remember, there are no known pathogens that can survive in beer.

I dont believe it is bacteria but brett forming a pelicle. I always get the same small white floaties after adding fruit to my lambics. It is either wild yeast carried in on the fruit that wasnt already in the beer or the fruit brings a different kind of sugar that causes an increase in that particular strain of brett. In my experience it isnt anything to worry about and will either drop with time or you can just rack from under it once you are ready.

Old thread, same beer.. I put this beer on the waaaay back burner. I'm convinced now that AlphaWolf is correct, but now I'm wondering if I have a new issue.? How do I now know if I have mold growth? I've tried the beer, and it tastes fine (not great), but I'm nervous about sharing it. Any ideas? How can I identify whether its mold or pelicle? Thanks!

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

It looks like brett in some of the pictures, but the first one looks like lacto or pedio.

What were you expecting from WL sour mix?

The head space in the fermenter probably means I"d learn toward an oxygen loving bacteria or yeast, so it probably isn't going to be lacto. But it could be.

Thanks Yooper. I'm honored that you are participating in my thread!:) I was expecting pedio, lacto, brett. I was hoping not to get mold. Actually, I just came across a horrifying post about mold on reddit homebrewing (I know, I know). I cant find it right now.

Actually, whats funny about your question is that I was expecting sour, funk, etc. from the sour mix, but I didnt really get any of that. Maybe too many hops, I dont know. Thats why I wasnt worried about the head space too much.

Anyway, it sounds like you are not concerned. That makes 2 of us. My question still remains, though. I do not know how to discern mold from what you see in the pics. Any advice?

Accept this input with the caveat that I am still a novice, but molds will be a pronounced color like grey, brown, greenish and often form hairs. Brett is white, cream, even towards greyish but powdery and chaulky looking. The images look like a pellicle after the carboy has moved a bit. When I even nudge my carboys a few inches they break into what your photos look like.

I wouldn't worry about it. Something I haven't gotten to yet is to purge the headspace of secondaries. Molds are mainly aerobic and will hinder their development so the brett can do its thing.

Back