HELP with this Stinking Computer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I finally got fed up with my partitioned hard drive and re-installed Windows XP. I first deleted the partition and re formatted the hard drive.
Everything so far worked like a champ with the exception of my display. My screen resolution is 640 X 480 and the color quality is lowest at 4 bit. The real problem is that I can not change any of the settings. When I look at the monitor is says "default monitor" and all the options are grayed out. This is really getting aggravating because everything looks like a cartoon and it is WAY too big.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the video drivers but I am far from am expert.

Anyone else experience anything like this???

Definitely sounds like Windows is loading the basic drivers. Load the latest drivers, hopefully that will fix the problem.

Sounds like you need to install some display drivers... Go to the website of the monitor manufacturer and the video card.....

WinXP straight off the source CD doesn't know about your video card. You have to figure out what the make and model of your video card is, go to that manufacturer's web site, download and install that driver.

Alternatively, if it's a name-brand PC (Dell, Compaq/HP, IBM, etc.) they usually have a system on their web sites where you punch in the serial number or service tag of your system into their web site, and it will guide you directly to the drivers for your particular system.

There's nothing to worry about regarding it saying "Default Monitor". Many monitors follow the standards for displays but don't bother with reporting its make/model to the video card. As long as the correct video card driver is installed, it will automatically detect the monitor however it wants to and it should display fine.

Thalon said:
Alternatively, if it's a name-brand PC (Dell, Compaq/HP, IBM, etc.) they usually have a system on their web sites where you punch in the serial number or service tag of your system into their web site, and it will guide you directly to the drivers for your particular system.
This is exactly what I did at the Sony site and it fixed it!:rockin:

I'm thinking that when I reformatted the hard drive the drivers were deleted. When I reinstalled them Windows found "New hardware" and after I rebooted everything was back to normal.

Who said this site was just for brewing?

Good job and glad you worked it out.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back