Do i need to filter hops when transferring to carboy for fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bates_Foreman

Reaction score
I just brewed two beers. One is an english style ESB, the other an APA. On the ESB I used a 7 gallon carboy and poured everything into it, including the leftover pellet hops from the boil. I then pitched my yeast. Are you supposed to pour EVERYTHING from the boil into your carboy? Is it important as far as flavor, etc.? Just curious as to what others do...

I did the same thing for my first few brews. Everthing turned out fine. Now I use a stainless kitchen strainer when I pour into the carboy. Some hops still get through but it filters most of it out.

Do you NEED to? - no

filtering out hops will help reduce the amount of trub in your fermenter; making it easier to wash yeast, and will help reduce the chances of off flavors.

I've reused yeast with hops in them with no problems. I don't bother rinsing yeast any more. I only reuse it fresh and never have I noticed any flavor carryover. But then I don't use the whole yeast cake either.

I've reused yeast with hops in them with no problems. I don't bother rinsing yeast any more. I only reuse it fresh and never have I noticed any flavor carryover. But then I don't use the whole yeast cake either.

Any tips on where can I read about this, threads?

There is a whole forum devoted to yeast. I believe a sticky too that talks about reusing yeast

Thanks for the quick responses everyone... This is only my third time brewing, and although i have had pretty impressive results in my last couple of brews (For a beginner), I'm still in the learning process and want to learn as much as possible. I guess after a couple of weeks, I could rack to a secondary but it probably isn't necessary. Thanks again! Cheers!

I don't strain my wort. It all gets dumped in to the fermenter. I also wash yeast without any issues.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone... This is only my third time brewing, and although i have had pretty impressive results in my last couple of brews (For a beginner), I'm still in the learning process and want to learn as much as possible. I guess after a couple of weeks, I could rack to a secondary but it probably isn't necessary. Thanks again! Cheers!

You will probably find the same thing that I have found while homebrewing and getting advice from the forum and other brewers. There are no hard and fast rules for these kinds of things. Dfferent brewers have different preferences. That is one of the fun things about homebrewing. You can experiment and find what works best for you.

Latest posts

Back