Ferm heater question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifearnothing0

Reaction score
I know this might sound strang coming from a Texas HomeBrewer , but what is the preferred DIY way to keep fermentation chamber at a 68-72 degrees ? ... I have a heating pad , but it seems to have a safety switch on it that won't let it stay on for more that an hour or so

ifearnothing0 said:
I know this might sound strang coming from a Texas HomeBrewer , but what is the preferred DIY way to keep fermentation chamber at a 68-72 degrees ? ... I have a heating pad , but it seems to have a safety switch on it that won't let it stay on for more that an hour or so

And I also have a very small space heater that has a temp control switch on it , but it jus doesn't seem very safe and also put out way too much direct heat for my liking ... Is it just my particular heating pad that shuts itself off ? I don't remember them doing that back in the day ? I know there are carboy heaters on the market but I'm trying to keep it DIY

I prefer a water bath and an aquarium heater. The water conducts heat much better than air the temperature is much more controlled.

I have a detailed blog post coming up on this.

Here is the heater I use:
Fluval M 50-Watt Submersible Heater

It works great. The temperature in the middle of the ale pail was within 1 degree of the water temperature just outside the pail for the entire fermentation. I brewed a Sasion with this at 70 degrees in my 60 degree basement.

Back