oatmeal stout recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browner

Reaction score
9 lbs maris otter
1 lb flaked oats
1 lb caramel 60
1lb chocolate
.5 lbs black patent
.5 lbs carapils

1 oz tettnanger - 60 min
1 oz willamette- 35 min
1 oz hallertau-- 5 min

i have us-05 and safebrew 33 for yeast

any changes you think I should make?

thanks

Use s05.

Also, add some lactose to it, 4-6 oz, and some cocoa powder, 4-6 oz, for a good sweet stout! looks solid!

looks good but you may not need the carapils. With a pound of crystal and the oats your body and head retention should be fine without.

looks good but you may not need the carapils. With a pound of crystal and the oats your body and head retention should be fine without.

this is good advice, I used a lot of carapils thinking I needed it for better body/head retention, turns out in almost every situation it wasnt really contributing at all.

Overall I think it looks good. I'd drop the carapils. I'd also reduce the crystal malt, but that's a personal preference and I tend to prefer beers with less crystal. I second the suggestion to use us-05. Your hop choices are unusual for an oatmeal stout. Personally I would use English varieties like EKG or Fuggles or Challenger. But again, personal preference.

What temp do you plan to mash at?

I was thinking of mashing at 154, and I will take out the carapils, as for the hop choices they are just what I have at the moment I wanted to brew tomorrow a.m. so I put them into beersmith and they fit into the flavor profile. Do you think I should take out the hallertau at the end? I'll use the us-05 as well

thanks for your help

I've made the NB oatmeal stout AG recipe 5 times. It's lighter than my preference @1.045+/- but I always had head retention problems, behaved like soda pop. However, the scale of the recipe contains .5 pounds of crystal, .5 pounds chocolate. I posted on here some time ago about my head retention problems and someone suggested adding some flaked barley. Haven't had the chance to make another one just yet, but will give it a try. Something to consider.

browner said:
I was thinking of mashing at 154, and I will take out the carapils, as for the hop choices they are just what I have at the moment I wanted to brew tomorrow a.m. so I put them into beersmith and they fit into the flavor profile. Do you think I should take out the hallertau at the end? I'll use the us-05 as well

thanks for your help

You might cut back on some of the later hops - maybe 0.5 oz for your later additions. There's nothing wrong with some late hop character in a stout, but you don't want to overdo it.

Ok here's what I'm going with
9 lbs Maris otter
1 lb flaked oats
1 lb chocolate
.35 black patent

1 oz tetanger. 60 min
.5 willamette. 40 min
.5 willamette. 20 min

Us 05 yeast

Thanks for all of your help

Back