Carbonating while lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None that I know of, I keep my kolsch on the gas for a month before I even sample it.

I keg my lagers up and move them to my lager chamber. I let them age for a week and then start the carbonation process. Yeast don't like lots of pressure, so I like to give them a little more time to work before I turn on the CO2

I just made my first Pilsner and have it fermenting. Just to be clear on the process ferment for 2 weeks, start lagering w/o gas for one week and then w/ gas for 4 more weeks? I am throwing fresh mangos in my batch (in a grain bag). Any recommendations on PSI setting?

Not an expert at "fruiting" beer, but wouldn't you want to throw the mango in near the end of primary? The yeast are going to go to town on it and I think I'd want 'em all settled down before I started lagering.

Yes, you can carb while lagering. Think about it, many European lager breweries use spundig valves for carbonating. The beer is actually carbonated before lagering starts in that case. Some yeast may behave a little differently under pressure, but you aren't likely to see any issues to speak of.

At the start of lagering.

well, also not an expert, but that would kick off secondery fermentation. The problem is that if your going down to lager temp (almost 0'C ) the yeast would drop and not be that active, but will it be able to ferment? If it does not and you bring the temp up, fermentation will start again, then all the lagering would be for nothing?

any other opinions?

I orignally meant to make this beer as an Ale, but decided Pilsner at last minute (on accident). Right now I am fermenting at 47-50* F, I can only crank my fridge down to 44* so that will be the lagering temp". Should I maybe move to secondary with the mangos for 10-14 days, then to lagering in a keg?

I think that is wat I would do. I would make sure all fermentation is done at one temp (47-50) and then go colder for lagering.

Back