Last Several Batches taste like a Saison.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeedaman21

Reaction score
I brewed a Saison during the summer, and ever since the last five batches have all had the Saison flavor profile on top of what is supposed to be there. All new batches are made with separate yeasts at low temperatures (68~). Prior to brewing the Saison, beers were great.

I am thinking either a problem with my keg lines, or plastic brewing equipment? Possible infections, or maybe a bug in the Saison yeast I used (Belgian Saison Blend from White Labs) that has lingered since. My cleaning procedures includes PBW and then StarSan with every use.

Any thoughts or idea? I can provide additional information if needed... I just want to stop making beers that suck.

Additional info might help. Do you soak everything? Or just clean, rinse, sanitize? Is your plastic stuff (lines, buckets) old or visibly worn or cracked?

Your saisons and Brett beers should have dedicated equipment used for brewing them. Once those yeasts are introduced to plastic gear you will never be able to kill them.

The white labs saison blend doesn't have brett or any bugs in it so I'm not sure why youd be getting the same flavor/aroma profile using the same equipment....

The aroma I am getting smells like a cross of the phenolics and esters of a Saison, and a possibly some Acetaldehyde...

Your saisons and Brett beers should have dedicated equipment used for brewing them. Once those yeasts are introduced to plastic gear you will never be able to kill them.

That's true for Brett (though some would argue with no plastic and good sanitation you don't need it), but there is no reason to need separate equipment for clean Saison strains (such as 568).

I have the same problem going on right now! I used wyeast's French Saison yeast in a rye Saison, then my next batch in the keg (a scotch ale) now tastes like a Saison? I let everything soak in oxyclean for a few hours, rinsed, then soaked in Starsan for about an hour. Keg lines and seals are relatively new... Such a pain! I already have dedicated sour keg lines, and to top it all off I have a Saison in another keg right now too!?!?!

Latest posts

Back