Gelatin??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleas

Reaction score
so in two of my brewing books that i picked up from the library it says to mix a packet of gelatin in some watter and add it before bottling( as i understand it is to "latch" on to all the tiny little particles still floating around and drag then to the bottom) has any one tried this. does it give the beer a cleaner taste? or any other bonus? or will it mess up the batch?

thanks fleas :drunk:

Gelatin is used at 1 TBS per 225 ml (almost a cup), warmed to dissolve.

It's added to the secondary. Some books recommend using it at bottling, but I prefer to use it several days prior to bottling/kegging because I don't want it in my containers.

Do it my way first and see if you don't agree. I wouldn't steer you wrong. Promise. ;)

I disolve a packet in warm water. I boil the water first to sterilize it, then let it cool to warm. I then pour the mixture into the secondary prior to racking. This ensures it mixes well with the beer.
I've never heard of adding it prior to bottling.

twocylndr said:
I disolve a packet in warm water. I boil the water first to sterilize it, then let it cool to warm. I then pour the mixture into the secondary prior to racking. This ensures it mixes well with the beer.
I've never heard of adding it prior to bottling.
It's in TCJOHB, I'm sure.

homebrewer_99 said:
Gelatin is used at 1 TBS per 225 ml (almost a cup), warmed to dissolve.

It's added to the secondary. Some books recommend using it at bottling, but I prefer to use it several days prior to bottling/kegging because I don't want it in my containers.

Do it my way first and see if you don't agree. I wouldn't steer you wrong. Promise. ;)

How long do you find it takes to do its work?

I have my first AG, a bitter, that I want crystal clear and I am going to draw a sample out of the secondary tomorrow and see if any fining is required....there is no problem waiting a couple extra days before bottling if necessary.

Yeah, I've done it both ways, and I can tell you, DON'T do it at bottling. You get quite a layer of gooey goodness at the bottom of the bottle. HB won't steer you wrong.

homebrewer_99 said:
2 days tops.:D

Does that mean I shouldn't use it for more than two days, or does it mean that two days is the most you'll have to wait? Can I throw it in my secondary before racking and let it sit in there the whole time?

bobbo said:
Does that mean I shouldn't use it for more than two days, or does it mean that two days is the most you'll have to wait? Can I throw it in my secondary before racking and let it sit in there the whole time?

I believe from the responses in this thread, the answers are:

no, yes
yes

Back