Wisconsin Beer Trip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenS

Reaction score
So me and the wife are going to visit my family in northern IL for the holidays and since we're going to be there for 10 days, I'd like to do a 3 day brewery trip across northern IL and wisconsin. I've done a little googling on wisconsin breweries, but I'd like to know everyone's opinion on which places to make sure I stop at. I would like to concentrate south of madison and east of I-90 because I will be in green bay for a couple football games and don't want to drive across the state to see just one brewery. (unless someone tells me there's an awesome one out there that I don't know about)

Thanks guys, and go packers!

Capital Brewery is outside of Madison. Also if you feel like making a trip to Milwaukee check out Lake Front. That was the most entertaining tour I've had. I think it was 11$ you get a pint glass for 4 beers plus a coupon for one of their beers at a bar. That was like two years ago so it may have changed.

When you are in GB check out Title Town BrewPub. They have a good selection and make pretty good food. I'd recomend the Spicy Elk Burger. Man I miss home!!! Go Packers!

Lakefront in Milwaukee and Sprecher in Glendale are both good bets. I only did the Sprecher tour twice, but I hit Lakefront almost every other week when I was still in Milwaukee.

Make sure you take a stadium tour, and head over to the hall of fame across the street from Lambeau field. Seriously, my trip to Lambeau was one of the most memorable of my life.

Make sure you get some Chili John's Chili from the stadium too. MMmmm.. And if you're feeling like a fatty head over to Kroll's for a butter burger.

If you're planning to be up North far enough to hit Steven's Point, you should stop in at Oso's. It is a homebrew shop/brewery next door. Smaller 7bbl brewery started by a homebrewer. They actually have good beer as opposed to the other brewery in that town.

Also, I'd have to say the trip East from Chicago to Munster, IN to visit 3 Floyds is worth it even if I had to walk.

Since this sounds like a 1 time trip I would want to hit the neater places.

IN GREENBAY - before/after the game.

Hinterland brewery and across the street is Titletown brew pub. They are a real brew pub and brew all their own stuff right there. It is in an old train station so it is SUPER cool to go check out. Food is great too.

IMO I would rate as far as a "beer guys" spots to go while in Green Bay on a must do or regret it forever kinda thing...

IN SOUTHERN WI -

I would go to New Glarus or Tyrannya for sure both make great beers. I would skip on Miller/Bud/Lienkugles/Point/and Sprecher because while they are neat, they are very "mainstream".

I'm looking on Tyranena's website and it looks like there aren't any brewery tours during the time that I'll be in the area. Is it worth driving out to Lake Mills for the tasting room experience or should I just try and find their beers at local liquor stores?

Make sure you take a stadium tour, and head over to the hall of fame across the street from Lambeau field. Seriously, my trip to Lambeau was one of the most memorable of my life

I agree, I've been to Lambeau and Green Bay many times for games. Huge packer fan. They are sucking today though.

Since this sounds like a 1 time trip I would want to hit the neater places.

It's a one time trip this year. I always manage to make it home at least once a year. (During football season of course)

Is it worth driving out to Lake Mills for the tasting room experience or should I just try and find their beers at local liquor stores?

I can't speak for the tasting room, but if you do want to go with the liquor store route, I'd highly recommend you check out Discount Liquor in Milwaukee (5031 West Oklahoma Avenue). It's by far one of the shadiest liquor stores I have ever been in, but it has the best selection of beer I have ever seen.

Leinenkugel in Chippewa Falls, WI.

You joke about it but if they weren't all the way up in chippewa falls, I would tour that brewery. Some of their beers aren't the best, but they have a large demographic to appeal to and they are a good entry beer into the world of craft brews.

Tyranena - opens every day at 3:00 . those are my photos for the Brewery. Ale Asylun in Madison - best beer in Wisconsin. Capitol - home brewers around here hate Capitol - arrogant snob brew master who makes corporate beer.

Tyranena - has great tap brew but it's small!!

New Glarus - good tours - big place good beers but ALMOST getting to big to be called "micro" but I tell ya - I work part time at a craft brew store and we sell a LOT of New Glarus to out of state people. We can always tell when someone is not from Wisconsin!

New Glarus - good tours - big place good beers but ALMOST getting to big to be called "micro" but I tell ya - I work part time at a craft brew store and we sell a LOT of New Glarus to out of state people. We can always tell when someone is not from Wisconsin!

Well when they don't distribute outside the state of Wisconsin that's bound to happen. I went to school in Milwaukee and Fat Squirrel/Spotted Cow were my go to beers through college. Now whenever I'm visiting my parents in Chicago, I have to drive up to Wisconsin to get New Glarus beer.

Pearl Street Brewery in La Crosse. While you're there you can see the biggest six pack in the world at the La Crosse Brewery.

This is a Northern Illinois spot I found and enjoyed... Carlyle Brewing in Rockford.
Great beer and good sandwiches.

You joke about it but if they weren't all the way up in chippewa falls, I would tour that brewery. Some of their beers aren't the best, but they have a large demographic to appeal to and they are a good entry beer into the world of craft brews.

Really, I'm not joking. I grew up in Minneapolis and started my beer palette on Honey Weiss and Big Butt! :D I agree that some of their more recent concoctions leave much to be desired (Summer Shandy?) but their a bunch of their older brews were and still are very tasty.

If you really want to plan a tour, you should check out this book. It has most of the brew pubs and breweries in the state listed by region of the state. And the book even has coupons free beer, free tours, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back