Oxyclean - Whoops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTexun

Reaction score
Well, I used my 10 gallon aluminum brew pot to do a low country boil (shrimp, potatoes, etc.) for my wife's 50th b-day. To get all the shrimp "smell" out of the pot, I soaked it overnight in Oxyclean.

Yep, now it is grey as a ghost (forgot about that). Is there a way to remove this oxidation? I've currently got it soaking in a 20% solution of vinegar and hot water. Will this work?

I have a 15 gal Aluminum. i have done boils, make turkey stock etc.
It will clean right up. Oxyclean was a good start. Trick there is not to do an overnight soak. Get a scotch pad and water and scrub all that white/grey stuff off the sides if there is any... and rinse a lot. You almost bring it back a little shiny.
Then to re season it.. fill it with water and boil it for like 10-15 min.. or whatever.. not sure on the time. You want a little grey on the sides... and this clean and re season will help with that.

When I have done turkey stock I have used http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/h7tBdNFL8Jw5tUqqN7CPzA?feat=directlink
To clean the greasyness out. I will NEVER do that again - make stock - took a week to get my pot back.

But stay on it and you will bring it back.
Scrub, rinse, fill, boil, cool, dump water, inspect. If not clean (ie smells) then repeat.

That should do it.

Back