Oxygenating beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorisBulldog

Reaction score
I took a quicker fix to get my brew in the corny keg, instead of a siphon I just poured it directly from my second stage into my keg.

I let the beer settle overnight in the fridge before I ran pressure into the beer and it tasted fine.

A friend told me I would oxygenate my beer via that method and ruin the taste.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

It definitely sounds like a quick way to oxidize the beer. I guess if you drink it fast (oxidation takes a while to show up), you won't notice much effect.

All of the brewers I know transfer via siphon, and some even push the beer in a closed system with co2, to avoid oxygenation. Splashing or pouring will ruin a beer pretty quickly.

Yeah, I thought it might ruin it but it still tastes great.

I'll do my next keg fill via the siphon method and not mess with the splashing and foaming.

Thanks

Meh, people get so worked up about oxidation. As long as you're careful with it, I don't think it would oxidize it much more than siphoning. Certainly not to the point of ruining the beer. If I was brewing for a competition, then I probably wouldn't do it, but 99% of people aren't going to know the difference.

I would be as careful as I could reasonably be. But I don't think it's something to lose sleep over. Just make sure to drink it quickly and keep it cold.

I dont know, it kinda depends on how you poured the beer in. If you poured through a small funnel allowing the beer to have a small stream, gives more time to contact the air/O2. If you just poured straight into your corny from the carboy in a fairly large pour you might not have a large issue due to such a large volume moving. Of course you will have some oxidation but not as much as you could.

If you want to do this again next time purge some CO2 into your keg. There will be little O2 in there to oxidize your beer. Or like the rest of the world, just siphon it below the beer level.... Im kinda rediculous I purge with CO2 and siphon... meh dont have any problems.

If your beer starts to taste noticeably different, just drink it real fast and finish off the keg.

Why not just purge the O2 out of the beer when this happens by connecting the gas line and running 5-10 psi of CO2 into the keg while holding the the pressure release valve open for say thirty seconds.

Why not just purge the O2 out of the beer when this happens by connecting the gas line and running 5-10 psi of CO2 into the keg while holding the the pressure release valve open for say thirty seconds.

The problem is not the 02 in the headspace, but the O2 that dissolves into the beer while it's splashing around....that O2 will remain IN solution, (Oxygen is soluble in beer....the reason there isn't any in there before you pour it into the keg is because the yeast ate it all). The O2 remaining IN solution with the beer is what will oxidize it.

Oxygen in your beer is a long-term thing. The oxygen leads to the cardboard taste as the beer "spoils" over time. The single largest factor in spoilage, however, is not the amount of oxygen, but in the storage temperature. Every 10 degrees Celsius colder you store your beer doubles the life of it. So, I say splash around all you want. Hell, get a couple of straws and blow bubbles in it. But, keep it in the fridge.

Between me and my friends, I go through about 5 gallons in about 3 weeks, so spoiling due to over oxygenating probably won't be an issue.

I did notice that after I poured the first pint the beer was cloudy but tasted fine. The next day once it settled it looked normal.

Latest posts

Back