Bitter Taste After Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUbrew

Reaction score
So after 4 weeks in the bottle ( and 4 in the primary) my beer seems to have picked up a rather harsh/bitter chemically taste. I'm unsure as to what could be causing the problem, since the beer doesn't smell funky and tasted fine (although a bit flat) prior to bottling.

I'm using "1-step" no rinse sanitizer and I'm wondering if some of that might be left in the bottles and causing the problem. Any suggestions would really come in handy.

I've gotten star san in every aspect of my brewing and bottling and no flavor is present. Not sure about any other sanitizers. However if it's labeled as no rinse it should have no effect, unless for some reason you had an extrodinary amount in your beer, which you wouldn't.

The recipe might help. Also what are you cleaning your bottles with? I typically soak them w/oxyclean for a few hours then rinse the hell out of them prior to bottling. Any soap residue or whatnot could cause off flavors.

I suppose I should have posted the recipe in the first place but here it is...

English Pale Ale

3.3lbs Plain Light LME

2lbs Plain Light DME

8oz Crushed Crystal Malt 60L Steeped at 160f 20 minutes

1oz Kent Golding Hops 60 minutes

1 1/2oz Glacier Hops 5 minutes

Nottingham yeast

SG: 1.048
FG 1.012

Fermentation Temp ~64-68°F

As far as cleaning the bottles goes, I've been soaking them in for about 30 minutes or so in soapy water prior to rinsing them and then giving them a quick soak with the sanitizer.

Thanks again for the help.

Latest posts

Back