Malted stout...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
So i'm thinking of making a stout and putting malted milk powder (the stuff they make malted milkshakes with) in it. has anybody ever heard of this or done something like it?

Have you ever tasted dry malt extract? It's almost identical in flavor (because it's a very, very similar product). Try making a sweet stout (also known as milk stout). Most have a lactose addition to provide body and sweetness.

I'd avoid putting milk powder in a beer...that just sounds weird. Malted milk usually contains dry malt extract, wheat flour and powdered milk. Wheat flour is usless unless you will mash it. You already have some form of malt in your beer too. The malt in the powder is a fermentable sugar. Therefore, it will not add the sweetness it contributes in a malted milkshake.

I'd avoid putting milk powder in a beer...that just sounds weird. Malted milk usually contains dry malt extract, wheat flour and powdered milk. Wheat flour is usless unless you will mash it. You already have some form of malt in your beer too. The malt in the powder is a fermentable sugar. Therefore, it will not add the sweetness it contributes in a malted milkshake.

Dry Dock Brewery in Denver Colorado makes a malted milk stout. 1.5lbs of malted milk per 5 gallon batch. Dry Dock also publishes their recipes.

Back