The single tier build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paraops

Reaction score
I had a pretty productive few days. I don't have the plumbing figured out yet, but the structure is complete, so I guess the hard part is done. Here's a couple pics of the last few days labor. :rockin:

DSC_0033-2.jpg

DSC_0034-2.jpg

DSC_0037-2.jpg

Now that is some awsome work, I like the use of angle iron for your burner supports, simplicity at best. Sexy looking Brew stand, congrats!

Can I make a suggestion grind a radius on you wheel mounts before you hit you shin on that angle iron (OUCH) been there done that.
Rig looks nice Pat.

LOL....yeah,Pat I hear that! They look hungry don't they?

What do you guys suggest I do....paint it or have it powder coated? I can't imaging any surface treatment surviving direct flame (I.E. the metal adjacent to the burners), but I do want to dress it up a little.

If it were me I'd go with BBQ black paint, which should stand up fine to the heat. If money were no issue I'd have it powder coated. BTW, what does that run for a object of this size?

That looks Solid. Why is the march pump on the opposite end of the burner adjusters?

I want the "front" to be clean....without the gas piping etc. I'm going to plumb it so that the only gas system components out front are the ignitor and adjustment knobs....just like a gas grill.

I haven't checked into the price of getting the rig powder coated...I'm sure it's not cheap.

i paid 140.00 for powder coat and 50.00 for sand blasting, had to find smaller shops to do it, all the big shops high balled me because they just want the bigger jobs. i have some pics in my gallary of my burner supports that were right next to the flame and you would be suprised how well it holds up. it also cleans very easy

i paid 140.00 for powder coat and 50.00 for sand blasting, had to find smaller shops to do it, all the big shops high balled me because they just want the bigger jobs. i have some pics in my gallary of my burner supports that were right next to the flame and you would be suprised how well it holds up. it also cleans very easy

Exactly what I was wondering about! Thanks man, I'll check it out!

I want the "front" to be clean....without the gas piping etc. I'm going to plumb it so that the only gas system components out front are the ignitor and adjustment knobs....just like a gas grill.

Now that's a tank. I like it. 2" square tubing? or 1.5"?

Curious to see how the control thing turns out. My grill is in storage otherwise I'd run out into the garage right now and look at that.

If you don't powdercoat, get the spray paint meant for exhaust systems from pep boys or any other car part place. It's been holding up really well on my stand. The only place it's worn is where the kegs rub on it.

Isley,

It's all 2" (3/16), You could park a truck on it ;-)

Thanks Bobby, I'll definately look into that. After a little though...the powder coating may not work. The wheels on the rig are welded on, not bolted and made of a high density rubber material. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't survive the baking phase of the powder coat process.

The Hurricane Burners that I installed on the rig are the 60,000BTU version of the Banjo Burner which comes in at a little over 200,00O BTUs.

I did a few test burns/simmers/boils on the rig so far to test how the burners performed. They are adjustable down to very low output and when opened up have no problem boiling 10gal. I messed around with holding 5gal at 152 degrees and had no problems at all.

You should be able to pull the center bolt on those casters and be able to remove the wheel while leaving the metal part.

I just looked at how the casters were constructed, you're right. They are able to be completely disassembled. I guess I'm back on the road to powder coating.:rockin:

The Hurricane Burners that I installed on the rig are the 60,000BTU version of the Banjo Burner which comes in at a little over 200,00O BTUs.

I did a few test burns/simmers/boils on the rig so far to test how the burners performed. They are adjustable down to very low output and when opened up have no problem boiling 10gal. I messed around with holding 5gal at 152 degrees and had no problems at all.

Very cool...I was looking at those for my HLT. Thanks :mug:

After several calls/conversations with the powder coating guy, I couldn't get him to commit to telling me the powder coat would withstand direct flame. I decided to go the high temp paint route.

The first pic is right after the rig was sand blasted.

DSC_0030-3.jpg

DSC_0043-1-1.jpg

DSC_0038-3.jpg

FYI on powder coat. I just checked with a local company who would do my stand (not finished yet) for $200 with a high temp silicone based powder that can handle 1200F. The normal powder breaks down @ 275F but he said continuous boiling @ 212F would kill the normal coating.

Thinking two rattle cans of Thermo-Tec sounds like a better deal for me. I could even do a two tone.

Hey you still didn't grind the corners down...now make sure you pm me when you gouge your leg on them. And yes I still suck.

Pat

Did you do the sandblasting yourself? If so, did you rent the equipment? I'm currently welding up my stand and i like how your paint came out.

OT: wait... you brew, scuba AND play drums? Are you my long lost twin?

LOL...yeah, played about 24 years now. Been in groups for most of that time, playing everything from jazz/swing/big band to blues, funk and metal. I'm in a blues / classic rock group now ,having a blast. It doesn't matter what genre I play, it's just fun playin, ya know?

I'm working on getting the DW kit designed. I figure it's been long enough, I deserve a custom kit.....but now I have this brewin thing to think about too!:D

Wizard, I had it done professionally. Cost me $80. Couldn't believe the surface after they were done. It was actually textured. Crazy.

lehr, I had a feeling you were gonna say that...again ;). I will grind a radius on the corners like you suggested, I just hadn't had the chance to do it before I had the rig sand blasted. I wanted to get the steel protected as soon as they were done with it, thus the painting over the soon -to- be -ground corners. (Yeah...you suck.....Mr . Awesomefabricatordude.)

Extremely happy with it! Couldn't have had a better surface prep.:rockin:

Just a side note - sandblasting generally leaves some texture, where bead blasting won't. I don't imagine the texture on the brew stand is a problem. I spent some time in an auto paint shop in high school and we would send cars to be bead blasted, and they'd come back nice and smooth without any paint.

Back