Kombucha Explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spdygonzalez

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch of kombucha and it tastes great but I had a major explosion! It was crazy. During my 2nd ferment (after I added flavors) I opened a flip top bottle I had only bottled 24 hours earlier to see how carbonated it was & the kombucha exploded everywhere! I figured out how to make the rest less messy but they all exploded badly...super carbonated. I only waited a day! Any tips on how to avoid this in the future?

did you add fruit? If so, I'm sure the SCOBY remnants ate the sugar and caused the excessive C02.

The primary ferment was 8 days. Secondary ferment I did add fruit & ginger to all of them. I did apple pieces with cinnamon in 2 bottles. And a few bottles with raspberry ginger variations. Does fruit add greatly to the amount of carbonation?

yeah, fruit will carb it up. If you want it to stay in secondary longer with less build up of co2 keep it in a cool spot. I store my finished brews in the garage during the winter (NY) and have never had an issue, soon as it gets warm out and I store down in the basement i get gusher bottles pretty quick.

I just brewed my first batch of kombucha and it tastes great but I had a major explosion! It was crazy. During my 2nd ferment (after I added flavors) I opened a flip top bottle I had only bottled 24 hours earlier to see how carbonated it was & the kombucha exploded everywhere! I figured out how to make the rest less messy but they all exploded badly...super carbonated. I only waited a day! Any tips on how to avoid this in the future?

My kombucha is bottled in 1L EzCap flip top bottles. I have a system that prevents over carbonation. It uses a rubber band through the bail which is left unlatched. The rubber band stretches under the bottom of the bottle and allows the bottle to pressure relieve at around 30 PSI. It's cheap and simple: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8x6zndx5fw89i0l/RELIEF.JPG?dl=0 For some reason I can't post photos here so this is a link to a photo on Dropbox.

H.W.

Back