Jolly pumpkin!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulBrew

Reaction score
Trying jolly pumpkin "the firefly" for the first time tonight... can't wait

Barrel aged beer is not for me...ugggh

ForumRunner_20111214_190120.jpg

More than being Barrel aged, it may be the fact that it is a sour ale. I know a lot of people are turned off by sour ales. (But it may just as easily be the wood flavor)

Chromados

Its the wood flavor I don't enjoy, just on the finish...I don't like red wine and it reminds me of that... other than that, its a very complex beer, just how it finishes with that oak barrel flavor kills it for me...

Heard so much about JP and went to a Michigan football game last year and stopped by JP afterwards and not sure I had a beer that I actually liked that much.

Headed over to Arbor Brewing and liked pretty much everything.

I think JP beers are an acquired taste. I'm still curious about some of them, but like you I don't care much for most wine and they all seem to have a certain flavor that rubs me wrong like that.

I wouldn't necessarily call it an "acquired" taste-I thought the first bottle of JP that I ever had was the best damn thing I'd ever tasted in my life. It was also the first brett beer I'd ever had and it just completely blew me away. I was like "holy crap I had no idea beer could even taste like that!"

To each their own, of course. I definitely understand why someone wouldn't like it, though I've personally never had a bottle of JP that I thought was anything less than amazing. The oak/brett thing makes it kind of smell like a pair of year-old gym shorts in someone's damp, moldy basement. What's not to love!:D

I also love a good red wine. I don't drink wine (or JP) often, but when I do I tend to go crazy over it.

I have had 3 or 4 beers from NO and I have yet to enjoy one. I like sour beers, but the bugs that JP uses are just too aggressive!

More than being Barrel aged, it may be the fact that it is a sour ale. I know a lot of people are turned off by sour ales.

Exactly.

Had a Jolly Pumpkin sour ale at an outdoor biergarten in Detroit called the Tashmoo Biergarten. Didn't care for it, too sour.
I'd drink it if it was all that was available but otherwise, just not my thing.

I had the ESBam a week or so ago talk about big citrus and bitter on top of tartness,im not a big fan of sours but most of their beer i can drink without dumping, i could imagine the sour beer.The oro de calabaza wasnt too bad.Although i dont like to drink a whole bomber of it at a time. I think it was the noel de clabaza that i liked,it was pretty complex with a little more sour than the others it seemed.

Back