Partial Mash IPA recipe critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irisndfan2

Reaction score
alright heres what I got, Still confused on how to make a good hop schedule. any advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

4.00 lb Light Dry Extract
2.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L
0.50 lb Victory Malt

0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min)
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min)

0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (15 min) Hops 12.3 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU

0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (5 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min)

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min)

1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

That doesn't look like enough gravity points or hops to me for an IPA. Assuming 5 gallons, I would add double the 2 row or increase the LME to 6 pounds.

Hops? I would double everything except the dry hops.

That doesn't look like enough gravity points or hops to me for an IPA. Assuming 5 gallons, I would add double the 2 row or increase the LME to 6 pounds.

Hops? I would double everything except the dry hops.

If I double the hops, according to beer smith I will be way over the styles IBU's?? this in beer smith has ibu's @ 67 as is.

I will probably add more extract to boost the gravity.

Yeah, when Beersmith tells me it is 67 I figure it is really 47. Too many variables to consider and Beersmith doesn't know them.

I calculate my APA'a in beersmith to 70 IBUs knowing in actuality it is going to come in closer to 40-45. For an idea, I use 14 ounces of hops in a 10 gallon batch of IPA. They aren't overwhelming.

Yeah, when Beersmith tells me it is 67 I figure it is really 47. Too many variables to consider and Beersmith doesn't know them.

I calculate my APA'a in beersmith to 70 IBUs knowing in actuality it is going to come in closer to 40-45. For an idea, I use 14 ounces of hops in a 10 gallon batch of IPA. They aren't overwhelming.

good to know, I actually made someone else's IPA once and i put it into beersmith and it said the IBU's were 134, which it was nowhere near that. So you think I should double each one then?

Yeah. I would. Again except the Dry Hops. Too much dry hops drink too much of the beer.

Beersmith is very reliable for me, and I don't have a problem with it giving me "low" IBUS. I would NOT double the bittering hops, unless you want to take the top layer of your tongue off. :p Warrior and columbus are both pretty "harsh" hops. I like bitter beers, but they must be balanced.

That said, I agree you don't have enough hops in the late additions. I'd use at least an ounce at 15, 10, 5, 0. I'm not a huge fan of Columbus in late additions, though. I'd use it once, if you love the taste, but not at every late addition. They are ok in dryhopping, maybe 1/2 ounce, with an ounce of amarillo.

What's your projected OG? I'd try to get an OG of 1.065 or so if you have 69 IBUs. That would be balanced pretty well, but leaning towards bitter.

Beersmith is very reliable for me, and I don't have a problem with it giving me "low" IBUS. I would NOT double the bittering hops, unless you want to take the top layer of your tongue off. :p Warrior and columbus are both pretty "harsh" hops. I like bitter beers, but they must be balanced.

That said, I agree you don't have enough hops in the late additions. I'd use at least an ounce at 15, 10, 5, 0. I'm not a huge fan of Columbus in late additions, though. I'd use it once, if you love the taste, but not at every late addition. They are ok in dryhopping, maybe 1/2 ounce, with an ounce of amarillo.

What's your projected OG? I'd try to get an OG of 1.065 or so if you have 69 IBUs. That would be balanced pretty well, but leaning towards bitter.

alright I left the bittering the same, @ 15 and 5 minutes i made Amarillo 1.00 oz, and columbus .50 oz.

My gravity is showing 1.071 og and my IBU is now showing 67.3.

Irisndfan2 said:
beersmith is showing 105 ibu's if I double it, would this be 85 ibu's then??

IBU figures are just a reference tool. Brew a beer. Look at the number of calculated IBUs. If it isn't bitter enough adjust the next batch. Don't compare your IBUs to my IBUs or anyone else's.

IBU figures are just a reference tool. Brew a beer. Look at the number of calculated IBUs. If it isn't bitter enough adjust the next batch. Don't compare your IBUs to my IBUs or anyone else's.

what do you mean by this? Can I actually measure after brewing?

Irisndfan2 said:
what do you mean by this? Can I actually measure after brewing?

A lab can measure, you can't. You can however taste, which is far superior to a numerical designation. Don't get caught up on what beersmith calculates and what the styles say. After a while you learn your system and your tastes.

Brew a beer. Not bitter enough? Looks like you'll have to brew it again and add more buttering hops. What a shame :)

Back