Growler on a stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Will a stir plate work with a growler?
I like using a growler for starters because of the large size, brown glass and cap. Thinking of picking up a Stir Starters unit.

It sorta works but tends to throw the stir bar, because they have a curved bottom. At least in my experience. I have made starters in them before, but I check them somewhat regularly to make sure they are still swirling OK.

I don't think the brown glass makes any difference in a starter, and I KNOW you don't want a cap on there when you're making one. Frankly I think clear glass is better because it makes it easier to see the yeast when you decant/pitch later.

Will a stir plate work with a growler?
I like using a growler for starters because of the large size, brown glass and cap. Thinking of picking up a Stir Starters unit.

Yes growlers will work but, from what I've read, get a barbell shaped stirbar for the concave surface inside. Maybe someone around here uses one and can comment.

Put a dip tube o-ring around the center of the stir bar and it will keep it from getting thrown.

Also, I agree with smakudwn, it is a bit louder than in a flat bottomed container. I use a 1 gallon growler, lets me make HUGE starters and costs less than the flask.

Back